What car seats would you use in a normal car for 3 kids to fit?

We have three kids with 3 car seats that we need to fit into a PT cruiser. All three kids are under 40lbs and weigh over 25lbs and every car seat i find is HUGE!! What car seats should I use that will keep all three of my kids safe and fit in the back of the car?

zoejains_momma

Asked by zoejains_momma at 9:33 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I think you will need at least 1 Radian no matter what... which is a pricy seat... but if you get something like the Radian 65 it's not as much as some of the others and you can find it online for about $161 with discounts.
    And then depending on the size of your other children you might need a second radian or you might try a couple Scenera's if they are under 40lbs.
    And you might need to puzzle the seats to fit... going to a place like Babies R Us where they let you try out the seats in your car to see how they fit. For example, the MyRide 65 appears to be a wide seat... but it has a tall narrow base, to some seats fit nicely under it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:07 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I have heard that the sunshine kids raiden's are really good! I would ask in the carseat safety group! They can help you!

clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 9:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• You should consider checking out the car seat safety group on here. They are a great group of ladies that are very knowledgeable about how to puzzle car seats together into small spaces. There are also car seat techs on there that may be able to help as well.

They will probably want to know information such as:

The childs age, weight, and torso height and whether or not they are forward or rear facing. If you choose to post there make sure to mention as you did here the vehicle. I am not sure what I am forgetting as far as information they may need. Hope that help though. Good luck.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 9:40 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I have 2 radians and can get 3 across in my HHR (very similar to a PT in size). They can be very expensive. They were $250 a piece but we go the Radian 85
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:57 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• When my son and my niece and nephew all were in the back of my parent's car, the 2 youngest had Graco carriers and the toddler had a toddler car seat. It was a pain, but we got them all in there when I was home visiting.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:41 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• How old is each of them and the size of each of them??? Are any of them rear facing? And what seats are they in right now??
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:44 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• You can try also the Safety First Go Hybrid, it is a harness that is the width of a booster. I have 2 one for my son to use and one for my MIL to use. They fold up small and are light wieght for traveling.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 5:25 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I have two kids who will be 5 in december and one who will be 2 in january. right now we aren't all together because one of the kids is visiting granny and papa but he will be home soon. None of the kiddos are rear facing. The oldest kids are 33 and 35lbs and the youngest is 25lbs. I want all 3 kids in a 5 point harness facing forward because they just don't weigh enough for a booster alone.
    zoejains_momma

Comment by zoejains_momma (original poster) at 10:24 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• If you can afford 3 radians I would go with those... but it will cost almost $500.
    I think you will need at least 1 radian no matter what to make then all fit.... and then I would probably get a Cosco Scenera for your youngest (you might also consider rear facing the youngest again so that the seats fit together better... it's usually easier to have 1 seat rear facing at least.... and at 25 lbs they are plenty small to rear face in a Scenera. The scenera cost $45-50
    After you have those 2 seats I would see how much more room you have and find a seat that fits the best.
    I have a ford focus and I can fit a radian, scenera and an infant seat.... so you probably need something as narrow as an infant seat.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:55 AM on Jul. 4, 2010