Nail clipping

When do you do it? Do your kids hate it?

I do it right after bath so they are soft and easy, my kids dont mind at all

KGeist86

Asked by KGeist86 at 10:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• Hate is not the word for it. My son would rather have an appendectomy without anesthesia than get his nails trimmed. He's almost 5 and I recently convinced him to try a one nail a day plan. I get to trim one nail each day in theory but there are days he just can't bring himself to let me even trim one. I've tried everything I can think of but nothing works. If I need to lay down the law and trim them against his will we both wind up sweaty and aching, it's a full body workout. He once managed to throw my back out so much that I could barely do chores for 3 days.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:26 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• My LO will sit in my lap while I do it. We sing songs and talk and it is all done with in a few minutes. I do it whenever I remember to or she has scratched me.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:28 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I also do it right after their bath for the same reason as you. Surprisingly, they don;t mind at all. I usually let them watch tv or something while I do it.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 10:29 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• dont mind at all
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 10:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I do it right after a bath too & they love it. Just about every day they ask me to check their nails to see if they need clipped!
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 10:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I did it quickly. They never minded it.

Answer by Bmat at 10:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• That reminds me, I need to clip my son's nails!

It's actually gotten easier. He's more cooperative now and even holds his fingers out for me so I can clip the nails for him. They are very soft, whether he's just had a bath or not. It's a little harder to do his toe nails, not because he fidgets or anything but because the clippers I have for him are too small. I have to use my regular fingernail clippers on them and I'm almost afraid I'll end up cutting him accidentally.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 11:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• My 6 year old doesn't mind it, she loves to have her nails clipped, except her feet, and then she sits there and wiggles and giggles the whole time. My 18 m/o doesn't seem to mind it either, she fights a little bit I think because she doesn't understand, but she's never cried about it or gotten upset.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 1:16 AM on Jul. 6, 2010