am i being jealous/selfish?

so my mil is in town for 2wks. she is staying at my sil house, mainly cause she is the oldest. when she first got here we ALL (my hubby, me, our 3 girls, my sil her 3 boys and my other sil and her lil girl) got together and hung out. my sil has a cat and my hubby is highly allergic and asthmatic so we could only stay over there for alittle bit. so we invited EVERYONE to our place. because we cant really be at my sil house, EVERYONE is either here or we ALL go out somewhere. the thing is i really want just my hubby me and the girls to go someplace with his mom. but if she goes, EVERYONE goes. she doesnt get to see us that often. in fact this is the 1st time she has seen the baby (11mths old) and i feel that since she is staying at my sil house she has plenty of alone time with her other grandkids. is it wrong that i want her to hang out with only us? not all the time that she is here, but at least go eat with us.

teddybear2272

Asked by teddybear2272 at 10:42 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• I don't think it's wrong, but at the same time, I'm not sure how you could tell your SIL without her getting offended. That's a tough one, but I don't blame you.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:44 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I think it would be very nice if your family and she could get out just on your own. Perhaps you can arrange an outing and at the end of the outing meet the rest of the family at a restaurant or picnic or something like this.

Answer by Bmat at 10:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Just ask- Hey on this day, can we do something just us? Or ask your SIL what day works best for you for us to take mom out?
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:46 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• You could see about setting up "Grandma Days" one each for each family...maybe nobodys feeling get hurt and all the kids get special time with her. It's nice to see someone WANTS their MIL around :)
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Does sil work? Maybe you could take mil out while she is at work.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 10:49 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• i tell my hubby to ask his mom for just us to go, but i think he is scared he will hurt his sisters feelings. i told him our kids need time with her too. this is the only grandmother they have (my mom passed away 3 yrs ago) as for my sils working. one does and my mil is taking care of her kids while she is here (to spend time with them) and the other sil is lazy and sends her kid with my mil no matter what.
    teddybear2272

Comment by teddybear2272 (original poster) at 11:05 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• NO!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:25 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• No, not at all. You should have your dh talk with his mother and tell her how you guys feel.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 12:03 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I don't think so. Maybe invite her to spend the night with you and your family. Everyone can visit, then when they go home y'all can have some quality time with her. I think it's wonderful you want to spend time with you MIL, I wish I had a good relationship with mine.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 3:51 PM on Jul. 4, 2010