How do YOU make tofu??

So, I made tofu for the first time for dinner today. I mean, I have had tofu in shakes before, but this is my first time cooking it. So, I know you can, marinate, fry and bake it. What I did today was fry tofu with mushrooms in avocado oil then when it was done threw some black sesame seeds on it. Since I made tacos, I kinda made a tofu/taco salad for the kids. They loved it. So, my question is since I am new to the tofu world is how do YOU like it? And when you cook, what kind of tofu do you prefer??

midnight11287

Asked by midnight11287 at 10:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Food & Drink

• We almost always use extra firm tofu, except for things like dips and "ice cream". My family really likes baked bbq tofu. We slice up onion and green pepper with the tofu and toss it with bbq sauce, then place it on an oiled baking sheet and bake it at 350 for about 30 minutes. Tofu stroganoff was another favorite. Most of our favorite tofu recipes came from Cook with Tofu by Christina Clarke, or Vegan Delights by Jeanne Marie Martin.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 11:02 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Thanks!
    midnight11287

Comment by midnight11287 (original poster) at 11:04 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I use extra firm for stirfries; silken for puddings.

Send me a message offlist if you would like some recipes...

Answer by rkoloms at 11:47 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I use it in stirfry. I use red and orange bell pepper, mushrooms and throw in a bag of "asian medley" frozen veggies too. some onion and garlic. Saute the peppers and onion, then put in the rest of the veggies. Use 2/3 c vegetable broth 1/4 c soy sauce 2 tbsp dry sherry 4 tsp cornstarch and a little bit of OJ. Mix those ingredients together and pour over veggies, add in cubed firm tofu and heat until sauce is thickened and tofu is warm. Serve over brown rice (which I cook in vegetable broth) and top w/ cashews. I top w/ rep pepper flakes for DH and I b/c we like a little hot spice. YUM!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 1:38 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I have done tofu tacos too!
    Our fave is tofu parmesean - dip firm tofu into egg/milk mixture, then crushed "garlic and cheese croutons" with parmesean, fry, top with spaghetti sauce, and add slice of mozzerella.

3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:02 PM on Jul. 3, 2010