Ever noticed that your toddlers urine smells of maple syrup?

I have heard that when they are teething their urine has a funny and very strong smell! Well I have always thought it best described (at least with my son) as smelling exactly like maple syrup.

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 10:54 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ever heard of Maple Syrup Urine Disease?
    The disease is characterized in an infant by the presence of sweet-smelling urine, with an odor similar to that of maple syrup. Infants with this disease seem healthy at birth but if left untreated suffer severe brain damage, and eventually die.http://www.ask.com/wiki/Maple_syrup_urine_disease
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 11:04 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• lol. No, I've never noticed that. Hmm...I wonder why?
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 11:01 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Please see a doctor. I've never had a child's urine smell like Maple syrup (and I have 4). As badgirl44654 pointed out, there is such a thing as Maple Syrup Urine Disease.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 11:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• never had that with my kids.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 11:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Please listen to hadgirl44654 it is a great answer and if you google it you will be more informed. Go to a doctor with a list of questions and be informed. we are not doctors her but badgirl gave a pretty good one I think
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 11:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• LOL yes, which is why I didn't eat maple syrup for about 10 years!! It smelled like pee to me!
    My son's doesn't smell like that to me, but growing up I had a little neighbor girl who always peed her pants and she ALWAYS reeked like syrup... I think it because she ate so much sugar it smelled sweet.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:39 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• OMG! I didn't know such a disease existed, Please take him to the doctor ASAP! Better safe than sorry! Lately I have found out that what I thought was normal is far from normal. Please take him in!
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 7:49 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Damn! Well I am usually quite skeptical of any advice I receive regarding my childs health but that is one I have never heard of either, and I am usually the mom who has heard of everything! I did a huge amount of research on babies when I found out I was going to be a mom for the first time. I am a Virgo and I like to be prepared and a perfectionist. I may check out the link provided above, but most likely will look at several. My son is due for a pedi. visit this month anyway, as he will be turning 2 in the next couple weeks. Thanks mommas!!
    truthteller0722

Comment by truthteller0722 (original poster) at 2:12 AM on Jul. 10, 2010