Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need some help

What is it called when you change the person who is in charge of your living will, like if you go into surgery.

Usually it would be next of kin so if you're married than your Husband, if not then your oldest child over 18, if not that then your parents, etc... so closest blood relative.

What's the form or order called when you change that person to someone else.
And not after death right, I mean like if you go into coma and what not


Asked by DomoniqueWS at 11:07 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Health

Level 25 (23,109 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (12)
  • In Calif it is called a Calif Advance Directive - it has 8 pages for the complete form - and it does list - the 1st 2nd and third - person - to be in charge - Google for Medical directives - and your state - it should send you to a form - from the state - most of those are free online -
    I have a boyfriend - that just had cancer surgery - so I just did this - with him - you may have to get it - notarized - but write me if you can't find it -

    Answer by sandy562 at 11:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

  • For surgeries and child birth you can get a Medical Power of Attorney.

    Answer by DawnA72 at 11:11 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

  • Yay! I was right! lol.

    Answer by renea20 at 11:12 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

  • Hmmm...I keep wanting to say power of attorney. That's not what you're looking for though is it?

    Answer by renea20 at 11:08 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

  • yes, it's POA or power of attorney!!

    Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:09 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

  • Yea its Power of Attorney

    Answer by AWebber212 at 11:12 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

  • Its a Power of Attorney! My dad changed it from my Mom to me after being a DNR and she let them bring him back! Hardest thing in the world knowing there isnt anything that they can do when your daddies dieing but It was his wish and I respected that!

    Answer by mkrhodes84 at 11:12 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

  • Could it be this. What is a guardian?


    Answer by musicmom08 at 11:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

  • sounds like you are referring to "power of attorney" from what you said in the body of your question. but, I just want to make sure that your not referring to a DNR (do not resuscitate) order. But that is if you are incompasitated(sp?) and cannot make your own decisions, say if you are in a coma (as you referenced). But that is a paper you sign saying that if your heart stops beating you do not want any extraordinary measures taken to keep you alive.

    Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:15 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

  • Durabl Power of Attorney...this makes it possible for whoever you choose to make any and all neccessary medical decisions for you if you are unable to. filled out one wit my Dad andithad very specific questions reguarding what he would like r not like to be done

    Answer by heathers5500 at 11:23 PM on Jul. 2, 2010