My 10 month old daughter wakes up several times a night. What can we do to help her sleep through the night?

I am a Dad, not a mom. I joined this sight because I was looking for some help with a question and they don't really make "Dad" sites like this that I know of. My wife and I have a 10 month old daughter. My wife puts her to bed by BFing or I put her to bed with a bottle if my wife isn't home. She usually goes right to sleep. But she will wake up every couple of hours through out the night and will not go back to sleep unless my wife BFs her. We have let her cry it out, given her a paci, and she still wakes up 3 or 4 times a night. She naps for 2 hours a day usually, which is good. Any advice???

DaddyL

Asked by DaddyL at 11:37 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds like she is hungry. They go through growing spurts. Also, it is a comforting thing to be breast fed and provides security too. She will grow out of it, yet I know how precious sleep is. Hey, we don't care if you are a dad or a mom on this site. Everyone is welcome and glad you are here.

Just for a point of information, I still don't sleep through the night. Not sure that is a good thing or not. Hopefully your little peanut gives you a break soon!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 11:41 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Try to use the ferber method.  I'm sure you can find it online.  Try not to put her to bed with a bottle.  She might become dependent on that, and always want it to sleep

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 11:42 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• This is a web site only for moms, sorry. You will be reported.

It's normal for babies to wake until they are 3 years or older. Babies shouldn't be put to bed with a bottle. Bottles and pacifiers can cause problems with breastfeeding babies.

Advice. If your wife isn't there feed food or give expressed milk by cup. Avoid using bottles and pacifiers. Breastfeed at least 2 years. Never let a baby cry it out. Expect your child to start sleeping through the night sometime after 3 years.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:46 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• DaddyL, just wanted to let you know eventually she will. It's important for her to know that you'll tend to her needs until she can do it herself. She's still pretty young. I would still give her a bottle in the night if she's hungry. Babies' tummies are small and need re-filling often. I don't let our child cry it out or fuss. If I can't get him back to sleep quickly, he'll just wake himself up and then we have to get up & play or watch TV. I do all I can to prevent that. Fortunately, I'm a SAHM & our schedule is flexible. Good luck! :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:51 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• BTW, Try www.daddaily.com if you are deleted from CafeMom.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• She is normal. likely in a growth spurt. Feed her don't try to force it. The vast majority of babies wake at night, esprcially the first year. It will change. remember a sleep through is 5 hours.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I have a question-do you have a sitter? or does your child go to daycare. Under a year old daycares give the wee ones a morning nap and an afternoon nap. A sitter may tell you a 2 hour nap but it might be more. I know also babies that are not full can wake up during the night. She is 10 months, how long from dinner to bedtime? If the wee one is getting food at 5and she gets a bottle to go to bed it might not be enough. Track this. You give a bottle which is harder to digest. Mom breastfeds, and the baby wakes up. Maybe on nights mom will breastfeed give a later dinner. Trying to help you here. How long did you let the child cry it out? 4 hours before the rescue begins, or one week of no picking up? Wish you and mom the best. Now go surprise her with a baby sitter and a romantic dinner for 2--YOU BOTH DESERVE IT!
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 11:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I hope gaiil is kidding about the reporting thing.
    As sleeping through the night thing my DS is almost 2 and he doesn't sleep all the way through the night yet. But he is down to only
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 11:54 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I didn't report him but it is a mom only site and men aren't allowed to stay on. That's the way cm is.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:56 PM on Jul. 2, 2010