So when you go into surgery...

do you have to get a medical power of attorney?
Who would be your Power of Attorney by default if you're not married?

extra info please?

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 11:49 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Health

• You don't necessarily have to but it's a good idea. Some hospitals have a part of the registration packet that you can designate someone. I think if you are not married it would be your parents.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:51 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I have had surgery 2 times this year, and I didnt have to have a medical power of attorney. If you are not married then your parents would probably be your power of attorney by default.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 11:51 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Why would you need POA? They do what they need to do. if you don't want your closest living relative making decisions in the event of something like a vegetative coma then you might need POA, otherwise don't worry about it. And if it's not a super complicated, dangerous procedure I wouldn't bother.

The decisions in the case of severe complications that leave you incapacitated fall to your closest relative... your parents, a sibling, whoever is living and closest blood relative if you're not married (and sometimes even if you are).
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• it's not required, but it's not a bad idea.

MommyToEthan

Answer by MommyToEthan at 11:54 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• You don't have to have it and it really isn't that big of an issue for a young, healthy person.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:54 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• It's not for me it's for my mom. She is going into surgery for the 4th time, but this is the first time its her choice...TUMMY TUCK and since its elective she is a lil worried.

She said she appointed my uncle as power of attorney, then she said she is appointing her ex as power of attorney, which is dumb, just for this surgery. But in the case that something serious happens, like a coma, or anything that would take more medical care then it switches from her ex to her POA because it is no longer that medical procedure. And Unless my uncle can drive 5 hours in time to show that he is POA then I'm her POA by default.

so it's very complicated.

This is the first time she has made a living will, and it was for this specifcally so I have a bad feeling, and I am worried. :(
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 12:00 AM on Jul. 3, 2010