What do you do when your SO just won't listen!

My fiance does things that really bother me. Leaves stuff laying all over the house, makes a mess in a room I just cleaned up, farts and burps CONSTANTLY, plays his video games all day long (when he's not working) etc. I've asked him nicely several times to please stop doing these things. To please pick up his clothes and put them in the hamper. To please not mess up the just cleaned room. To stop F*ing farting every 2 seconds. And he just continues doing all of it! I'm not the type of person to just leave the mess hoping he'll eventually pick it up. What do I do now? My nerves are fried.

Ash9724

Asked by Ash9724 at 11:51 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• Sorry to say this but it sounds like your boy needs to grow up. Stop being his "mother" and don't pick up after him. I'd give him an ultimatum or take him to couples counseling. You need a MAN not another child.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 11:54 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Find a new SO. He isn't going to change.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• You have to calmly address it when you aren't in the moment. Easier said than done :(
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I usually throw his pillow at him, lol.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 11:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I would seriously reconsider ever marrying this guy unless you want to be his maid for the rest of your life. Passing gas or burping in front of other people is incredibly rude and immature as well. Playing video games all day long?? Don't expect him to amount to much in life either. What you have here is an obnoxious little boy who is nowhere near ready to be married. His mom didn't do her job very well and you should send him right back home so she can put up with his nonsense. You can do a whole lot better my dear.
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 12:01 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Think Long & Hard before you say " I Do!" He will probably only get Worse if he is not willing to change the few things you have asked him to! Wishing you lots of luck!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 12:36 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• My so called husband farts all nite long and I tell him if I light a match we will go up in flames and I am not laughing
    seabrezze_11

Answer by seabrezze_11 at 12:54 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• This is what I recommend: Find out the cause of why he's so gassy - maybe it's something he's eating, and if so, change what he's eating but be sneaky about it. See if maybe you can slip Beano into his food, or convince him it's a vitamin. My DH and oldest son are addicted to Xbox, and they trashed the living room constantly while they were shooting bad guys or aliens or whatever, so I banned the xbox to ds's room (which is the attic, with no a/c, in summer, so guess what they don't play all day.). As far as picking up or helping around the house, I'm a big fan of subtle manipulation (not "why didn't you mow the grass like you promised!" but "oh, honey, could you do me a HUGE favor and mow the yard if you have time today? I just can't get the mower to start... or I could call your buddy to come over and do it while you're at work"). Never fails at my house.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 7:20 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I say pick your battles. He is probably not responding to you because you are upset about everything he does and he's tuning you out. He leaves his clothes on the floor, but does he do other things? Like mow, fix the car, pay bills, etc? Sure he has gross body functions but can he help it? I do think the video games all day is an issue. I would have a frank talk about that and set time limits. It is not good for him to be tuned out like that all day especially if you have kids. To me that would be worth addressing. The other stuff is just annoying! Pick your battles or it is just too overwhelming for him and he won't listen!
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 8:31 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Quit feeding him gassy foods. As for the clothes, my mom had a cure. She threw everything away that was in the floor like that. That cured me of dropping clothes on the floor. I used it too so my kids learned fast as well. Blame his mom for not teaching him but you can cure him of that!

Answer by admckenzie at 9:08 AM on Jul. 3, 2010