Should a country be allowed to ban a burqa?

They're trying to introduce a veil ban in the UK, France is debating one in their parliament now, and in Spain, which has a HUGE Muslim community, some places have already enacted them. The jist is typically the same - it is unlawful for a woman to leave the house in a veil.

Is it right or fair to do that to Muslim women? Would it ok to forbid Amish women from covering their hair in public or forbidding Jewish men to wear yarmulkes?

Overview on some of the laws/proposed laws:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2010-06-27-Burqa_N.htm

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:14 AM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think people should be able to wear what they want as long as, they are, you know wearing something lol
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 12:19 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I feel the same way as Liz above. Why stop there if you are going to prohibit this. What about those red and blue bandana? Don't they stand for something much worse than a burqa? Live and let live is my motto!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:22 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Like I said in this post in Politics and Current Events... I think that it's totally wrong to take away some one's religious freedom as long as it's not directly harming another person.

What is the "problem" that is causing them to consider baning them?
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:22 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I think it's wrong. It's no different than telling nuns they can't wear a habit, or Jewish men the can't wear a yarmulke. It's a slippery slope.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:25 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• What is the "problem" that is causing them to consider baning them?

The only argument I've ever seen is that women don't wear them by choice, only by force. Problem with that argument is the millions of women who wear them of their own free will right here in the US. Some don't just wear it by choice, they converted from another religion first and THEN chose to wear it. Which leaves us back to...Muslims are all scary terrorists. But they can't say that out loud, so they'll stick with the oppression angle.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 12:25 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Even if some are "forced" to, which I would think in counties like France and the UK would be uncommon, FORCING them not to wear them isn't any better!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:30 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• This is horrible. You should never force people to go against their faith when they are not harming anyone.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 1:49 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I think everyone should around naked- after all, isn't that the way their god created them? That way, there would be no argument about clothing.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 6:38 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I don't know if it should be banned, but I hate them. I think veils and head coverings are fine and even beautiful, but I really don't like it when women have their face covered.  Still I believe people should do what they want so I don't know if I would have them banned.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:58 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Beyond requiring you to wear non-offensive clothing, I don't see any reason to ban any type of clothing. Although, we aren't talking about the US here, which is part of the issue. France is notorious for his hatred of just about anything Islamic, and I don't see that changing. I can also understand the courts being more cautious about "extra" clothing in cases where there is a threat of things being brought in underneath... However, if that's the case, simply require them to be checked at security like we are here. Point is, these women aren't doing this to be noticed or to draw attention or to even make a point, they are doing this because it's their belief and their way of life and their government should not only recognize that but do everything they can to uphold that life style and belief because it is such an integral part of the life of a great number of their citizens.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:10 AM on Jul. 3, 2010