(Also in R&B) Should countries be allowed to ban burquas?

They're trying to introduce a veil ban in the UK, France is debating one in their parliament now, and in Spain, which has a HUGE Muslim community, some places have already enacted them. The jist is typically the same - it is unlawful for a woman to leave the house in a veil.

Is it right or fair to do that to Muslim women? Would it ok to forbid Amish women from covering their hair in public or forbidding Jewish men to wear yarmulkes?

Overview on some of the laws/proposed laws:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2010-06-27-Burqa_N.htm

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:15 AM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think that's right, I think they should have religious freedom as long as it's not hurting others!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:19 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• No. It's not fair.

any more than it would be right for the baptists to ban jeans,

Or the people who celebrate naked moonlight rituals to ban clothes on certain days.

or the nuns to say we all have to wear a habit. (sp?)

You know what they should ban? g strings with pants so low the fat on top hangs out. That's nasty.
    sarcastic of course, but it really is nasty.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:20 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• The fat is irrelevant. I have no desire to see a piece of string that's been exploring someone's nether regions all day no matter what they look like. Maybe Europe can ban that instead.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 12:23 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Is this burquas part of their religion or their culture?
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:29 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Considering all the problems Europe is having with Muslims, yes they should have the right to ban them. Europe is slowing being taken over by muslims who want Sharia law instituted. America is heading for the same problems, but as can be seen so well on just CM the ignorant will allow it to happen in the name of "diversity".
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:48 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I don't think burquas should be banned, but there are certain situations where a person wearing one should agree to a search, since weapons can be hidden under them. Carpy makes a good point that Europe has been having a lot of problems lately. I think it is wise to use the information that is available instead of standing on ideology and endangering lives. In short, I am not in favor of banning them, but I am in favor of a person submitting to a search (in a private place by a person of the same sex).
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:46 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I don't think they should ban them.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:01 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Amish women and Jewish men aren't covering their faces.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:00 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Why does that matter? If I want to cover my face, that's my right.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:36 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I didn't say it mattered. I was just pointing out the obvious difference in those three things. They are not even comparable. I don't care what people do but, burkas seem to not be worn by all muslim women just some of them so, it is not about "religious freedom" just cultural. Also, France and Europe have the right to decide what ever they want for their citizens just like Pelosi, Reid and Obama decide what we are going to do with our money. Right?
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:25 PM on Jul. 3, 2010