My son has started spitting up and has recently started getting thick saliva.

My son is 11wks old. He is breastfeeding very well, but he has started spitting up lately. In the last few weeks he has also has gotten alot of salva (the thick mucus kind). Im not sure if the saliva has anything to do w/it. He also seems alittle more fussy than normal. I have been giving him the gripe water and it seems to help, but w/ all the extra saliva he seems to gag or start coughing. He always sounds like he has to clear his throat. I have asked the Dr, but he just says he looks and sounds fine. Is this normal and if not what can I do to help the excess saliva that is gagging and irritating my baby?

MTHOMPSON

Asked by MTHOMPSON at 12:23 AM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My now 11 month did that. Our doctor along with 2 other doctors said that they were not worried about her doing it. (she did it around the same age as yours) She did outgrow it. One good thing to do is get the bulb that you use to suck up excessive saliva and use it often. I got a free one when I gave birth at the hospital. You can also buy one.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 12:44 AM on Jul. 3, 2010