Open House - Invitation by a classmate - is cash in card required?

My DH just finished his BA and has already started on his masters. Next weekend one of his classmates he graduated with, from an advanced cohort where they all took the same classes basically for two years, is having an open house. I say you were both classmates together, gift is not necessary. He thinks he should still give money. I say a card is good enough. We're broke with him in grad school and me a SAHM.

jamesonjustines

Asked by jamesonjustines at 12:30 AM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• It seems to me they are on the same level, so giving cash might be an insult. As if to say, don't worry "I" can afford it and you seem to need a little help there.
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 2:27 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I think a card is more then enough.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 12:36 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• No way...even though the guy is putting the party on, your DH just graduated too...it would be awkward to expect or anticipate a gift from a fellow graduate.
    If you don't have the money, you don't have the money.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 12:36 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• PS just bring a good bottle of wine or some cool food they can use later, I wouldn't even bother with the card.
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 2:28 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Laura I LOVE your idea about telling Jamie that. He won't want to insult him him so he will go for that logic!
    jamesonjustines

Comment by jamesonjustines (original poster) at 6:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2010