College grad sues father for tuition money...

http://finance.yahoo.com/college-education/article/109991/college-grad-sues-dad-to-cover-student-debt?mod=edu-continuing_education

Thoughts? All I can say is that I'm glad I don't have this kind of "relationship" with my dad.

Ash9724

Asked by Ash9724 at 12:31 AM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Hmmmm...that sounds like a dysfunctional family,don't you think? First-the "contract" ? How silly. Second: Suing your own father? Ruthless and greedy girl. Your parents don't have to pay for your education. If you want to go to college,it is up to you to find a way. I did. Out of all 4 years, my parents gave me a total of $200.00/ LOL. I earned the rest.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:02 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Simple fact is if he didn't intend to keep paying he should have never signed the contract. She obviously knew her dad was gonna try to get out of it, and he did! So I think its fair. Sure, she doesn't "deserve" her college paid for, per se, but if he promised and signed a contract then she does. Just like with any other person, sign a contract-be prepared for the consequences if you breach it.
    millijess

Answer by millijess at 1:42 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• He breached the contract he signed and she deserved to sue.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 12:35 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• he said he would do it, he signed a contract. He should have done it!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:36 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I agree with itsallabtthem and darkfaery
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:40 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• After reading the article I would have to say it all depends on the terms of the contract. The father contends that the daughter didn't meet some of her contractual obligations. Ultimately the judge ruled in favor of the daughter. Like always, the devil is in the details.

My personal opinion is that nobody owes you higher education.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:15 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Lesson learned: Do NOT promise your kids something, sign a contract, and then decide not to.

I keep getting mental images of me promising my daughter a barbie and two years later getting ready to go to court, Lmao.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 12:45 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I read this and while in general I wouldn't agree with a child doing such but she has a good reason. She had a written contract. There did seem to be a lot more to this but the fact is they had a written contract and he stopped paying . She deserved what she got(so did he lol)
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Someone has a very spoiled child.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 12:32 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• My parents said they would pay for my college and then sent me the payment coupons after I got married. I took them and made a payment every month for 10 years. Ultimately, it was my education and my parents are not bound by anything morally or ethically to pay my way. It has been 20 years since I made the last payment. No big deal.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:00 AM on Jul. 3, 2010