Anyone know anything about wild baby birds, because I have some in my hanging flower pot and I think the mom has abandoned them.

I have a hanging pot of flowers on my back patio, and there has been a nest in there with 4 eggs for a while now, I have been peeking in from time to time just to see if they ever hatched and a couple days ago they did. But I have not seen the momma bird out there in a while and I think she isn't coming back. How could I care for these birds? Would you feed them worms? Or what else should I feed them? I really don't know where to begin in taking care of them but I would be willing to try, Anyone ever cared for baby birds before?

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 12:46 AM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Pets

• Log onto aviary.owls.com/baby_bird.html and it will tell you what to feed them and how. I have done it many times and it was wonderful to save these little ones from certain death. It's not hard and it only takes a week or so with most birds. Good Luck!!
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 1:10 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I wouldn't pick them up or handle them in any way because if momma bird is coming back she WILL abandon them if she "smells" the human scent on her hatchlings.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:49 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• If she did abandon then you can always call your local animal shelter and ask them to pick them up. They usually will take them to the place they need to go. At least ours here does.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 12:50 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Call a vets office or a pet store, they would probably be able to help you more in what and how to feed them. Good Luck!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 1:07 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• If you are positive that the mom bird is gone, then you should find a wildlife or aviary rescue in your area. I think that is probably the only way they will survive without mama. I have had to take baby birds to a rescue a couple of times. If you can't find a rescue organization on google, try calling around to vets and dog/cat rescue groups, as these people almost always have rescue contacts they can refer you to. Good luck, that's very kind of you to try to help.

vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:22 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• A vet or animal shelter should be able to direct you to a wildlife rehabilitator in your area. It may be that the momma bird hasn't abandoned the nest but that you just aren't seeing her comings and goings.
    FrogSalad

Answer by FrogSalad at 8:47 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I called the animal shelter, they only take dogs,cats and hamsters.I haven't touched them,only got the pot down and looked inside. I was thinking of chopping up some worms and giving it to them in a dropper? Good idea or not?
    BlainesMommy09

Comment by BlainesMommy09 (original poster) at 1:00 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I cringe at the thought of taking care of baby birds,not because I don't adore birds but rather because I do.
    My dd has a love of baby birds and has tried to care for them many times and they always die and it breaks my heart. She read on the net to feed them softened cat food. IDK much else aside from keeping them very warm. Best of Luck to you and the babies.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 9:11 AM on Jul. 3, 2010