Would you change the traditional spelling?

If you were going to use a name for your child that's spelling was basically unpronounceable in English, or where the spelling when pronounced in English wouldn't reflect the actual pronunciation, would you change the traditional spelling so that it worked better in English?

I usually prefer to keep traditional spellings for names, but in a case like this I think I would have to change it...

Blueliner

Asked by Blueliner at 1:24 AM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Baby Names

• well I have a friend who named her daughter an irish name (caoimhe pronounced Kee-Va) She lives in Ireland so no biggie, but if I were here and living in the US I'd spell it like I want (traditional) and give her a nickname. Sure its a bit of a pain with introductions but plenty of people don't go by their first names anyway. Men do it all the time cause they have the same name as their dad.

I say, do what you feel like. Remember too, she/he is going to grow up and the name (spelled right) could be important. IMO You don't want to be the 40 year old whose name is spelled "wrong" KWIM?
    millijess

Answer by millijess at 1:34 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• If the name is always going to be mispronounced, yes i probably would change the spelling.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:27 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• but at least i still know how to pronounce Felisha. It can be frustrating for the child when their name is not pronounced correctly simply because of the spelling. And having to correct everyone for the rest of her life.

I like unique spellings, but only when it is still clear how to say the name.

Of course, OP is in a slightly different situation because it's not so much unique spelling as traditional. But I would probably still alter the spelling so that the name was properly pronounced.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:34 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I would then change it if it was uncommon.

A name like Sean isn't pronounced how it is spelled however it's common enough not to change..

however if there are some foreign names that people have a lot of problems with that if I liked how it sounded and it wasn't spelled how it's pronounced I would change the spelling of the name.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:37 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I would keep spelling the way it is. When it comes to names I would spell it the way I like it.. My daughters name is Felisha normally it is spelled with i's and a c .
    seabrezze_11

Answer by seabrezze_11 at 1:29 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Some names can't be misspelled or you miss the point behind it. DD's middle name is Sayuri. Everyone pronounces it: SAY UR I. It's pronounced SAI UR E. It's japanese. I had to keep the spelling and I correct anyone who pronounces it wrong because its a sentimental name.

Same goes with my middle name. It's nigerian but it is often misspelled and mispronounced. But to each her own.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 1:51 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Yes, I would change the spelling to reflect the proper pronunciation.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:12 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Hum... I'll have to keep thinking about this one... I don't know if I should keep it or change it...
    Blueliner

Comment by Blueliner (original poster) at 1:53 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Sayuri is her middle name though... if I were going to use this name as a middle name then I think I would leave it because it's not like it gets used much so she wouldn't have to pronounce it for everyone and spell it all the time.
    Blueliner

Comment by Blueliner (original poster) at 1:59 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• But changing the spelling can change the feel of a name. Shauvon, Shavaughn and Sioban are pronounced the same, but have different backgrounds and meanings to people. Personally I'd keep the traditional spelling, I grew up with a slightly different name that I was always having to spell for people or correct their pronounciation and it was a pain when i was younger, but now I'm glad to not be one of 4 or 5 people with the same name.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:09 AM on Jul. 3, 2010