WHAT IS AUTISM AND HOW CAN I HELP MY SON, HOW CAN I DEAL WITH IT?

TRISTONA

Asked by TRISTONA at 2:30 AM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Autism or ASD is a complex neurological disorder that umbrellas many different symptoms.
    How you can help your child depends on how hold the child is. If the child is young then early intervention is your best bet. And in those early intervention classes they will teach you skills to help you communicate and cope with your childs ASD.
    Remember, your child is a child FIRST and is not define by this disorder.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:33 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Well said, outstandingLove!! I wish I knew you when my son was diagnosed 9 years ago!!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 8:20 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I agree with outstandingLove. Just remember that it isn't like a death sentence. You can have autism and lead a normal life. I'm 22 and have autism and have a normal life.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:34 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• wonderful answers so far! My 11 year old has autism. It is challengeing, but rewarding. I see the world thru different eyes now. Get intervention as soon as possible. Be patient and understand that he is a child first
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• My 12 year old has autism. I encourage you to get involved with local special needs groups, your local Autism Society, find a support network - online groups are great, but local groups can give you specific information about where to go for what services. It will take a while for the diagnosis to sink in, and you will likely go through stages where you are angry, sad, overwhelmed - it's all normal! Learn to find joy in the achievements that your son makes, even the little things. Make sure you get him in early intervention if he's young or a great school if he's older - you are your child's best advocate!

Answer by missanc at 3:47 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• The others answers are right on target! Autism is a big, broad spectrum disorder it is not a 'cookie cutter disorder' where everyone is the same. What my son does your child may/may not do. Some things that I do to help my son is we have set up a routine/daily schedule, I give him advance notice on things--like in 10 minutes we are leaving for the store-- that way he knows it is coming up and he can transition from 1 thing to the next easier, I also keep a supply of sour candies on hand and when I see him get frustrated and on the verge of meltdown I try to step in right away and redirect him to his calming breaths and give him a candy to suck on. There are a lot of Autism groups on CM where you can find support. Just remember your child is still the same person the diagnosis cannot change that.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:52 PM on Jul. 3, 2010