Any tips on how to make our move easier?

I have NO clue where to put this question, lol.

We're moving this month, have 3 kids, and i'm almost 7 months pregnant. If anyone has any tips on how to make this move go super smooth I would greatly appreciate it. I'm such a huge procrastinator, and my husband won't let me do much, but he's just as big of a procrastinator. And unfortunately we can't afford to have a professional moving service do it for us. We are renting a moving truck though.

Can we get boxes for free anywhere? What should we start packing first? Do you leave clothes IN the drawers, or pull them out? Do you really have to individually wrap all the dishes and such?

milfalicious08

Asked by milfalicious08 at 2:41 AM on Jul. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Ok... to make it as easy as possible, get the largest moving truck you can... put unimportant things in first, things that you will need to set up right away in last...ie beds, kitchen items, livingroom things etc...
    Pack the boxes light... use a dolly ... moving many items at once saves time when you use a dolly... also can you get someone to watch your children? We had my MIL come with us and keep our little man out of the way...
    Leave clothing in drawers, toys in toy boxes, but tape lids down... clean out frig, cabinets, start now, leave out only what your family is going to need to use ... so that the night before the move those items can go into one or two boxes...
    If you have pets, put the in cages (if need too) and into a private car... they go when you go....all at the same time...
    Try to move it all at once... breakable/ tv's computers, stero's put into a car or van...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 2:49 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• And I forgot to mention that we have TWO houses to pack up and move!
    milfalicious08

Comment by milfalicious08 (original poster) at 2:41 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• We got a lot of boxes from Walmart, and grocery stores. We also wrapped all our dishes with a bit of newspaper to keep them safer in the boxes.
    Jenniy

Answer by Jenniy at 2:46 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Oh this applies to both houses, but you will need 2 separate days... but do them both in one whole trip (tho on different days)
    also get as many friends and family members to help and if you can supply a thank you lunch for them...maybe pizza to go around...

GL
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 2:51 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Oh, Honey. I've moved so much that I should start a business just advising people how to do it. lol. Go to your local grocery stores and fast food restaurants and ask them for boxes.A nd it's going to take A LOT! You don;t realize just how much stuff you have until you start to move. During the day go thorough stuff and get rid of as much as possible. Take it to a thrift store or give it away. Cook up a few meals you can freeze so that you can pack dishes and pots and pans, plus then you won;t have to worry about dinner through this hectic time. Leave your clothes in the drawers and (pay attention this is one that will save you a lot of time) keep your clothes on hangers. If the house you're moving into is already open for you, go ahead and clean it up and then hang pictures on the walls. This will make it feel more like yours, and keep things from getting broken. When packing things, make a list of everything that is inside t
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 2:53 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• that box and put it on top. This way when you need something you don't have to go plundering through every box to find it. Pack according to rooms. Write on the outside of the box which room that box goes in. Then when you move that box to the new house, put it in the room it's suppose to go in. Accept ANY HELP that is offered. If you have a few helpers, ask some to stay at new house to unpack, some at old house(s) to pack, and 1 or 2 to haul things back and forth. Finally, relax. Don't push yourself too hard. It WILL all get done.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 2:57 AM on Jul. 3, 2010