How long did it hurt to bestfeed?

i was unable to brestfeed both of my kids.. :( My first was around 3 weeks and it hurt sooo much I gave up. I started to pump.. but i was exsausted with no help and i was uneducated about how to balence things. My second child i tried but OMG!! He was born almost 10 pounds!!! Strongest suction ever!!! Lets jsut say I didnt even go there with my child. If I ever get pregnant againa, i really want to try to bf and get a bf consultant nurse.. i know how much it hurts after the baby is born and you dont brestfeed.. does that feel better once you keep on brestfeeding?? How long did it take you to not feel dicomfort??

midnight11287

Asked by midnight11287 at 3:14 AM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• it never hurt me.... but it was kind of "weird" so to say at first, that goes away and its an amazing bond between us! :)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:20 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• and it shuldnt really hurt to nurse if latched properly.

A great book is Bestfeeding, it has so much great information in it about ANY problems you have with nursing!! :) GL!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:21 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• It hurt me but I don't have a low pain tolerance. My baby was almost 9 lbs and his latch was strong as well. After u get the hang of breastfeeding it gets better. It didn't hurt the whole time either, just the first couple minutes, but it was a sharp pain because I wasn't used to it yet.

Some tips;: don't wash or scrub ur nipples with soap
    If they start to feel tender you can rub the colostrum or breastmilk on the nipple to heal it...which is recommended rather than a cream
    Utilize a lactation consultant
    Wipe ur nipple dry after every feesing
    And most of all find support. Even on cafe mom.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:25 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Breastfeeding will hurt the first week or so but if you are in pain after that you are probably dealing with a bad latch! I recommend seeing an IBCLC (internationally board certified lactation consultant) immediately after birth! You should definitely join the Breastfeeding Moms group on here. They have been an awesome support for me! Breastfeeding is somewhat hard the first 6 weeks but if you can make it through that it's smooth sailing! It's so much easier than formula feeding. I couldn't BF my first due to lack of education so I pumped for a few months & formula fed after that. I can tell you from experience that is MUCH easier! It only hurts for a little bit while your nipples get used to being used for their purpose lol. You will have an amazing bond and experience with your baby like no other! I am BFing for at least a year. If you have any questions about BFing at all please private message me!
    jconney80

Answer by jconney80 at 3:28 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• And ill add in some cases baby isn't latched on correctly but I even had a consultant there with me and I had my baby latched perfect. Some of us just have more sensitive nerve endings.
    My consultant explained that and if it is tolerable lett the baby keep going. After a couple minutes the pain sub sided.
    This lasted about a month for me.

Good luck
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:28 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• It hurt for a couple weeks but it was the swelling and my nipples getting use to it. I breastfed my first for 2 years. Then when my second was born my milk was still in from my last baby, so there was no pain.. However he has a milk protein allergy, so I could not continue breastfeeding him. Hes had lots of tummy problems. =(
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 3:40 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Don't hate me, but it never really hurt for me at all. There was some discomfort when my milk first came in and I was engorged, but that lasted less than a week. My boys were all good nursers, had good latches. But definitely educate yourself and find a lactation consultant. The La Leche League is also a good resource, though I found them a little hard core for my taste.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 4:16 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• the whole week i tried!
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 5:02 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I nursed 2 kids back to back for a total of 36 months. By the end it hurt less, but it never stopped being uncomfortable. My oldest was almost 10lbs as well, and he nursed every hour for about 45mins at a time, there were times I was in tears because of the pain... And when he didn't eat or when we gave him a bottle so I could sleep or not be in so much pain, the swelling from being over filled with milk was even more painful... But I didn't ever let that stop me, full time Formula was just not an option for me, we simply couldn't afford it... So I kept it up. It did get easier, like I said, but it never got good... I hated nursing the whole time and I'm already dreading it with this one, but it's just what you do.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:53 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• With my first child--who weighed 11 and a 1/2 pounds at birth--it was uncomfortable and I had issues with pain and latching for about the first month. Then we got the hang of it and she breastfed til she was 9 months old. With my second child--9.3 pounds at birth--I had no problems or pain whatsoever.
    Make a commitment to do it with your next child, and then seek out support and information. You CAN do it! Good luck!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:22 AM on Jul. 3, 2010