What do you do when your 3 year old wakes up in the middle of the night...

and won't go back to bed?!?! This is killing me. Less than three hours of sleep. Uggh!

sastina

Asked by sastina at 5:09 AM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I give my 3 year old daughter a glass of water or milk and hug her for a bit and tuck her back in her bed.
    amanda_23

Answer by amanda_23 at 5:17 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• depends on why the 3 yr old wakes up! w my 2 yr old i usually let him cry a little & he goes back to sleep.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 5:20 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• My children arnt allowed out of bed unless they have to go potty. So I don't have that problem. If we hear him crying we go to him and sooth him then tell him to go back to sleep. Sorry!! :)
    midnight11287

Answer by midnight11287 at 6:27 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• You have to keep putting them back in the bed, eventually they wont get out anymore, its just hell to deal with but it gets better. My daughter use to do the same thing, now if she wakes up she will turn her tv on and fall back to sleep.
    kira25

Answer by kira25 at 6:34 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Unless my daughter is hurt or scared, I just give her a kiss and tell her that it's not morning yet so she needs to go back to sleep. Sometimes she'll take a book to look at until she's sleepy again.
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 7:25 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Occasionally my DD will wake up at like, 4 or 5 am and cant get back to sleep. I put on a movie, make her bed on the floor, and I sleep on the couch. She usually goes back to sleep eventually.
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 8:30 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Could it be she's going to bed too early? Maybe her body feels rested. I don't have much advice. The only time my 3 year old wakes up in the middle of the night is to ask me to hold her. We bedshare so it's not a big issue.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 9:33 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I tell him to STFU and get back in his room. OK, I don't really but it sure is tempting at 3am, right?

He very rarely gets up without good reason, tends to get up about once a month with growing pains and not much more than that. Generally he just needs a hug, sometimes some tylenol if he's in pain, and he snuggles down again. Unless he's thrown up in bed he's rarely up for more than about 10-15 minutes. I don't know if it's accidentally good parenting or if he just really loves his bed but either way it works for me.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 11:29 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Thanks ladies. I forgot to mention that my three year old shares a room with my 9 month old. I used to put her back in the room and let her cry, but now it is more difficult because I don't want two of them up!

Typically, if she wakes up early she comes to our bed and goes to sleep -which I don't have a problem with. But for some reason this morning she just wasn't tired! She didn't even go to sleep until 10PM last night. I have a feeling this is going to be a LONG weekend!
    sastina

Comment by sastina (original poster) at 12:55 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• How does she do with naps? Is still taking one? How late does she take them? Believe it or not, sleep begets sleep so if a child is overtired they have a harder time falling asleep and staying asleep. If you daughter doesn't nap and didn't go to sleep until 10 pm, she may have been overtired. Or did she nap for too long or too late? Was this a one night thing or has she been doing it every night? If it's a one night thing, it might be a fluke depending on what you had for dinner, her naps, etc. If she's been doing it every night, you may need re-evaluate her napping schedule and bedtime.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 11:36 PM on Jul. 3, 2010