• In the Spotlight:

The age old question

Why is it ok to call people names if you don't agree with them, but if that person defends themselves or points out a flaw in what you said they are being 'mean' or 'crabby'? People have different opinions and wasn't anyone taught that if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all?

MooNFaeRie30

Asked by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:36 AM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I do not call people names as I was taught that this is NOT ok. When I disagree with someone, I say things like," while I understand what you are saying, I think " Or, "I feel that.."
    Many people feel that they are being attacked when others point out flaws in their argument. I try to avoid flat out stating that they are wrong. I try to point out why I think what I think and avoid telling them that their logic is flawed because they are entitled to their opinion, even if I don't agree with how they got it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:35 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• It's not okay to call people names. As far as pointing out other peoples flawed arguments, it's hard because things come across very different on e-mail or computer. It can sound a lot different then you intended, depending on who is reading it.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:09 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I don't think we should care about others' answers. We are all just sharing ideas and opinions. The person who asked the question can consider each answer and take from it what they want.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:24 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• It isn't OK to call names. Calling names doesn't help your argument.

Answer by Bmat at 7:29 AM on Jul. 3, 2010