Have you gone to or are in school for nursing?

I have been looking at different careers, mostly because i am curious what is out there. How tough is nursing school and do you really start out making $25 per hour? I thought that was pretty low when i read it. The women I know all started at around $30 but they all live in california.

3_ring_circus_

Asked by 3_ring_circus_ at 7:36 AM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• Nursing school is rough. If you go to nursing you will never be so glad when its over lol. Wages really depend on your area and the type of nursing you go into. Nursing homes almost always pay the most and more if you do perdiem.
    nurbabe82

Answer by nurbabe82 at 7:51 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• If you are really great at the sciences and math then go for it!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:32 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I am an RN. Nursing school can be tough, but it was also a lot of fun for me. They pay does vary from area to area. I recently moved from Oklahoma to California and nearly doubled my pay. No matter where you work you will have days where no amount of pay can compensate you for what you've done and others where you can't believe you make as much as you do for as little as seems you've done. Bottom line is most nurses I know don't go into it for the money; they go into it based on a sincere desire to be a nurse.
    motheram

Answer by motheram at 5:45 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I went to school for Respiratory Therapy. After completing it, I didn't like it. In the cities the money is equal to nursing. I know one girl that works the weekend in St. Louis and makes about $25.00 an hour.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:22 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• In california right now, it is really hard to get a job as a nurse straight out of school unless you worked in the hospital while going to school. They are wanting experienced nurses. I have several family members that are nurses, one just graduated in Dec. She said most of her class still does not have a job. She was one of the lucky ones because she worked in the hospital while going to school.
    As far as school goes, it is super hard, you will need a really good support group and lots of sitters and caffine. My mom told me she has no idea how moms with young kids complete it program! Most actually don't :( GL
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:09 PM on Jul. 3, 2010