If a neighbors dog is barking nonstop......

DO you call the cops? knock on your neighbors door? what would you do?

I was woken up yet again bya neighbors dog this morning it is currently 4:30 AM here, I have 3 dogs myself and 2 of mine were outside. I went out and nope not my dogs barking so i brought them in. I have a basset hound so people automatically think its my dog barking but its the lab behind my house doing it. every night it happens i am sooooo tired of it, it is a constant bark like he isnt even taking a breath, how can the owners NOT hear their dog barking like that? my other neighbors all have figured out it isnt my dog and have all complained. What would you do? at this point i just bring my dogs in most nights and turn on fans so we cant hear it.

3_ring_circus_

Asked by 3_ring_circus_ at 7:42 AM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Pets

• leave an anonymous note telling them to shut their dog up
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:55 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Been there! Around here, you just learn to ignore it. You COULD call the cop, but he isn't going to do anything. You COULD talk to your neighbor, but then you'll end up with your house vandalized... I have simply learned to ignore the dogs and buy ear plugs for everyone...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:58 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I put on ear plugs and run the fan to muffle the noise.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:59 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• bump
    nurbabe82

Answer by nurbabe82 at 7:59 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• here you can get fined for noise.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:00 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I have the exact same problem! Why are people so inconsiderate?? I say you start with talking to them and asking them to let their day in because it's waiting you and your family up. Then I would do when the dog is barking at 4:30 am, why should they sleep when you are up? It's their dog! Then if nothing happened I would call the cops.

Thank God for my air conditioner and being able to shut the windows!! I don't hear it that much!

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 8:01 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I have dealt with it before, unfortunately not successfully. We moved a few months ago and I can't tell you the relief I feel after years of dealing with our idiot next-door-neighbor's barking dog. This dog would stand out in the backyard and howl and bark its fool head off every time my neighbors left the house. They also went on weekend trips about once every month or two and the dog would bark all day and all night til I thought I'd lose my mind. I tried to talking to them politely a couple of times, and when that didn't work, I contacted our county's animal control out of desperation. The neighbors were pissed about that and actually had the nerve to tell me how crappy that I didn't talk to them. My jaw dropped--I DID talk to them at least twice, and I believe my husband said something once, so THREE times! Anyway, the situation improved slightly after Animal Control, but never stopped completely. Con't below--
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:15 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I'm with shay1130. Where I live, you can be fined for noise. I would check the township, borough or town laws where you live, then speak with the police about the problem. Is there anyway you can get a vidoe recording of the dog? That way you have proof it's their dog if needed.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:17 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Sadly, I grew to really hate these people because of it. My advice to you is to try to talk to the neighbors first, if you're comfortable doing so. Maybe they really are clueless and will feel bad when they find out. If not, or if you're uncomfortable talking to them, then check your city or county ordinances--I'm certain that nearly every town will have "nuisance dog" ordinances in place, and you can file a complaint about it. Nothing bad will happen most likely--either the police or animal control will come out and talk to them about it first, and give them a chance to remedy the situation.
    Good luck, I hope it all works out. I hope to never, ever have to go through that again. I dealt with it for FOUR YEARS and it was hell.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:18 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I know how you feel. After hearing my neighbors dogs bark for a few hours (it was 10pm at this point) We knew no one was home AND the dogs (4 and they were the little yapping dogs) were in a screened in porch. Well my DH got the hose and sprayed the dogs until they shut up. It worked they did not bark for the rest of the evening.  BUT we lived in an apartment and mobed withing 2 months of that incident for other reasons (our neighbor was a hooker and crack head). Good luck.

PotterMom218

Answer by PotterMom218 at 8:22 AM on Jul. 3, 2010