Moms of "tween boys", How old was your son when he stopped playing with toys?

My son is 11 and going into 6th grade this fall. He still plays with his bakugon, yugio oh!, poke mon, transformers and Ben 10 toys.
We own an Xbox game system(old version gifted from a friend) and a computer(duh!). I refuse to buy any of the newer game systems for right now(that may change in the future, IDK, my sister's son is the same age and he plays them 24/7 and I don't want to see my son addicted like my nephew).
ANYWHOOOOO....
How old was your "tween boy" when he finally gave up all his toys for good?
(I already removed the "star wars" bedding and replaced it with something a little more "grown up".
I'm not trying to "rush him" into growing up or anything. I'm just curious.
Serious replies only please!!! No BASHING!!!

Waspinators_Mom

Asked by Waspinators_Mom at 8:05 AM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• My oldest is 12 and will be in 7th grade next year, he still plays with legos, star wars pocket models, bakugan and some videogames. I have always been strict about video games and having limits with them. All of his friends still play with the same things at their houses and our house. My son will normally tell me when he is dont with something, every 2 months i have them clean out their rooms and get rid of any toys/things they are no longer using. i also have a 9 y/o son and both boys tend to use the clean out day to get rid of things they are no longer interested in.

I dont tell them what should go or what they should play with, they do a pretty good job of deciding for themselves. I have noticed that my boys tend to want to do more outdoor activities like fishing at the creek, bike riding etc.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 8:26 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Thank you "3 ring circus". I wish we had a creek close by!!! We have a pool at our apartment complex though. Wondering when I should get him a more "grown up" bike. The one he has now is a "West Coast Chopper" bike gifted from grandpa(I would never in my life spend $300 on a BIKE!!!) still in excellent condition.
    Waspinators_Mom

Comment by Waspinators_Mom (original poster) at 8:30 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Boys never quit playing with toys. The toys are just different and more expensive as they get older! I have a 12 yr old grandson who still plays with the same things your son plays with and he's fine. Although he does play xbox. How about trying a WII? That way you are not wasting the money on a game system just for him. It is for the entire family. My grandson likes that and he likes even better when my dd (his mom) plays that with him.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:43 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Thanks for answering ADMENZIE!
    I can't really afford a "Wii" right now. I'm saving for it for x mas though.
    Waspinators_Mom

Comment by Waspinators_Mom (original poster) at 8:46 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• My hubby is 41 and his brother is 40 and they still play with toys! Last night the three of us, his two oldest boys and a friend of the brother were playing Magic the gathering.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 9:17 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• My cousin is 37 and still plays with Legos.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 3:37 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• my son is 10 and has like 40 build a bears and IDK how many toy cars! Let them be kids they grow up way 2 fast
    Homeschoolmom99

Answer by Homeschoolmom99 at 12:20 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My son is ten, soon to be 11 and he still has toys. Transformers, legos, etc, but he doesn't play with them as much as he used to. He spends more time playing the Wii and drawing and reading than anything. I imagine in the next couple of years he might faze out the toys some, but we are in no hurry. There have been some things here and there that show he is maturing, like not wanting stuffed animals in his room and wanting to change his bathroom theme (it was spiderman) to something more mature (blue stripes). Makes me sad that he is growing up...
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 1:57 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I have 20 yr old twins that will still play with Legos. My youngest son is almost 13 and going into 8th grade and still loves his Legos and Transformers. He also has no problems sleeping on his original Toy Story sheets.

The game systems (we have a N64, Game Cube, PS2, and Wii) are all played by everyone (I have a 15 yr old daughter too), but we limit time.
    It all depends on the toy type, and the child. I know some Grown MEN that still assemble Legos. (40s)
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:54 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Boys don't outgrow video games - ever. And a lot of 20s-30s guys still like toys. My dad (almost 50 at the time) asked his wife for a remote controlled car for Christmas several years ago.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 11:51 PM on Jul. 5, 2010