My 13 yr old got choosen for the gifted program next year...

I am excited for him, he has been a straight A student since he started school. My mom thinks (eventually) they may want him to skip a grade and he says if the gifted program isn't stimulating enough he may want to. I think I may talk to the school about it when they go back. Has anyone been in this situation or something like it with their child?

MrsAJLaw

Asked by MrsAJLaw at 8:20 AM on Jul. 3, 2010 in

• I'm a certified teacher in Texas. It is very rare in my state to allow a student to skip a grade. The closest thing we do to that is allow honor students to earn enough HS credits to graduate one year early, while also earning college credit for Freshman English and Algebra. The reason why they rarely allow students to skip a grade is because it is so hard for them emotionally, especially in the teen years. The sad truth is public school, even with a gifted program, is not equipped to educate a truly gifted child. They get bored, distracted, and frustrated. My advice is to look into area private schools. With your son being gifted, you may be able to get a scholarship into a really good private school.

ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:11 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Yes, and I feel that you need to be very careful that he still is involved with other activities that he loves......sports, etc. It is most important that he be a well rounded individual, not just a brainy student. Also important that he be with his age peer group. It would be different if he was 18 already, as far as skipping grades, but he is very young. Be watchful that the gifted program does not become stressful and that you can pull him out of it , if need be, down the road. As wonderful as this is, there is a lot to consider and be mindful of. It can work out just fine as long as you keep watch over how he handles it emotionally. Best wishes!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:29 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I agree with elizabar. I have seen many kids struggle with skipping a grade at the Jr high/High school level.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:55 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I have a 13 yo that has been in the Honors program for two years now. They are very good at keeping the students interested in school - they do a lot of projects, and the curriculum moves much quicker than the regular classes.

Schools don't like having children skip grades because of the emotional toll it can take on them. (In the parent orientation the first year the principal talked about it, and said that's why they have this type of program). I'd see how he does in the gifted classes, you may find that he is stimulated enough. I would be very hesitant to have my son moved up a grade, he enjoys his classes, and has a lot of friends that he would miss seeing.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:47 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• That is awesome!
    As someone who skipped a grade, and has a teen who has been in academically advanced schools since second grade, I can tell you that skipped a grade is generally a bad idea.
    You may want to join one of the gifted parenting groups on CafeMom.
    Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I skipped a grade with no trouble at all, but apparently that's not the norm. Congrats to your son! I assume he's already in all the honors classes and the gifted program is another class. If, instead, he's moving from regular classes to honors classes, be prepared for more homework. Take advantage of teachers who offer after-school help in their subjects. Gifted doesn't always mean gifted in everything.
    SusanTheWriter

Answer by SusanTheWriter at 10:41 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• It is rare for schools to allow someone to skip a grade. If he is truly highly gifted, I'm very surprised he wasn't identified before now! The schools offered to let me skip a grade when I was in elementary school, but my parents wouldn't allow it and I'm so glad they didn't! My 3rd and 4th graders are both in the AG programs at their school - it's a great thing and exposes them to a wider variety of topics at a level they normally wouldn't be taught at. I hope you and your son enjoy the experience. You can always add to whatever the school provides at home!

Answer by missanc at 9:33 PM on Jul. 4, 2010