Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bleah of Lysol wipes?

Looking for something easy to just wipe off dd's (6mos') toys with. So which would be better bleach wipes or lysol wipes? right now I have the lysol ones. I clean her toys then let them sit for about 15 min before putting them back.

Answer Question

Asked by jedwards2009 at 9:10 AM on Jul. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 17 (3,282 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • According to this website it's "Bleach is always a great way to kill germs and bacteria that build up on the toys that your children are playing with. Another great point that parents might not realize that once they have discovered the cleaner that they plan to use they can purchase a plastic spray bottle to aid them when cleaning their children's toys."


    Answer by musicmom08 at 9:22 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

  • I would think eaither one should be fine. Both are disinfectants.

    Answer by elizabr at 9:22 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

  • both work. I do the bleach and water mix in a bucket throw the toys in there let them soak then let them air dry.

    Answer by Trotterswife at 9:24 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

  • I wouldn't use either of those. I use Seventh Generation dish soap and I just use a little dish soap and then rinse with hot water. Depending on the type of toy and how dirty it is, it does in the dishwasher. We have a dog door and one of our dogs likes to take baby toys into the dog run. Those toys always get washed either in the dishwasher or washing machine.

    Answer by Christina807 at 9:36 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

  • When in a hurry the wipes are very handi. When getting to some serious cleaning, I prefer straight bleach with a bit of Fabuloso for a nice clean smell.

    Answer by Momof11kids at 9:37 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

  • I wouldn't use those on any toys my child might put in the mouth because of the toxicity. I always just made up my own cloth wipes soaked in a solution of 50% white vinegar & 50% water. It disinfects just as well, but leaves the toys safe to munch on.

    Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:12 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

  • I use soap and water plus a 50-50 vinegar water spray if something needs disinfecting. Both the Lysol wipes and bleach are highly toxic. I'd never use them on something that goes in a child's mouth. In either case you need to rinse after cleaning. If you're just letting them air dry after using Lysol wipes then the residue is going right in to your child.

    Answer by RhondaVeggie at 3:35 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

  • Neither! Why bring unnecessary toxins into your home?

    This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

    Answer by rkoloms at 6:03 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.