Karate or gymnastics for a 3 year old boy?

It won't be till next year so right now I'm just thinking about it.

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 9:32 AM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I vote karate...but when hes ready have him try out a class of each and let him pick...most places offer a free trial class
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 9:42 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• gymnastics........it's more laid back
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:33 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Karate;)
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 9:37 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Karate for sure
    kira25

Answer by kira25 at 9:39 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• My ds is 2.5 and we will be starting him in karate. He already can't wait, my 6 and 5 yr olds dd and hubby and myself already do it. My girls do take gymnastics, but my ds will be taking karate. If he one day asks about gymnastics, we will let him.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 9:49 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Ds is interested in karate but all of the places around here won't take him until he is 5.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 11:23 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I would ask my son. Both have good points. I would research the gyms and karate schools in the area, decide the gym or karate school best meets our need, have my child attend the free first lesson they usually let kids do, then allow my son to pick. If he says no to both then that would be okay too. At three I'm not exactly worried about getting him started in a sport so much as getting him interested in doing activities that involve running, jumping, and movement. We did soccer and have a membership to the YMCA. Swimming, bike rides, going to the park, walking - for now that is what we do. My three year old did ask for karate lessons so we will do the free one first and go from there.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:55 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Has he expressed interest in either of them? Look around at the programs offered around you. Some are more serious (focused on really doing the activity) and some tend to be more laid back (focused more on just getting the kiddos active). Figure out which type of environment you are interested in. I would try them out and see if he likes either of them. After trying them out, I would let him decide which, if either of them, he would like to do. If he's not interested in either, then find something else or just keep him active yourself until he is ready for a structured type of activity.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 9:18 PM on Jul. 3, 2010