Do you find new furniture a waste of money or an investment?

I need to know. I bought a recliner(beautiful,leather) for my dh. My kids have already destroyed it. I want new a new sofa and love seat but I am thinking it would be stupid to put money into furniture w/my kids being so destructive. What have you done in your home? Is it worth it?

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 9:35 AM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Some furniture I do not buying used but other furniture I would prefer to buy new. Furniture that would be easy for bugs or pets to get into and hide in, I would prefer to not buy used. Things like couches, mattresses and such is to easy for bugs to hide in and bring into your home. Things like tables, cabinets and such I do not mind. There are a lot of places around here that sell brand new couches for $300. I would probably consider that first.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:59 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• if you're kids are that awful with furnishings, i'd not buy expensive things, until i taught them how to behave and respect..or they were old enough to be out of my house! go ahead and get new, just don't spend alot of money..however, remember: you get what you pay for. if its really cheap, its not gonna last, even if the kids were better behaved.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:51 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I always buy the best new that I can afford; my old sofas lasted 10 years. I don't let my kids jump all over the furniture, eat, or put their feet up on it though. (We have 5). I would never buy used furniture with stuffing/upholstery of any kind, I'm scared of bugs or germs.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:28 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I always buy second hand...I can't see spending thousands for living room furniture that someone is going to eventually mess up...when the kids are older I will buy a nice set.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 9:37 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• lmao it depends on how old your kids are? i really wany a new one too and i saw a perfect one for $400 it was a 2 seater recliner that was leather and suade.....but i think that i will wait until my son is 5....so i have 3 more years to go before i can have a nice home and furniture lol
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 9:41 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• When we built this house we bought two new sectionals, one for our upstairs bonus room, and one for our downstairs great room. We went with higher quality, more expensive furniture because we wanted it to last. So far we have been happy and it has been almost 6 years since we purchased them. The one thing I am NOT happy with is the dining set we got, but oh well....
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:42 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• We bought a new set when our ds was a baby and I was pg with our dd. We kept that set (new but not real pricey or high quality) until they were about 5 and 6. Then, we bought another set - a pretty nice one (though we didn't get leather - kids are hard on that). That set lasted us 10 yrs (and several moves). Now our kids are teenagers and we just bought new about 18 months ago. It's a somewhat nice set (cream colored ultra suede). We took it with us overseas, and honestly, we don't care if it lasts much more than about 5 -6 yrs (we didn't pay a fortune for it). By then we'll be living back in the States and won't be moving all the time and we will invest in something nice.

Honestly, it took some work, but we just really stressed and enforced with the kids things like no eating on it (when little), no roughhousing, no shoes on it, etc. After a few mos, it wasn't a problem and they use it, but don't destroy it.

gl!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:49 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I don't see it as either, however it is something that makes you happy so it isn't a total waste. Others have mentioned second hand and cheaper furniture, I would agree. Either that or if you get nice furniture make sure it is either off limits or there are rules that have to be followed around it. Growing up we had a living room and a formal room. The living room was where we could watch TV and hang out, but the formal room was where the nice expensive furniture was that we could only sit at when company was over, and no food/drink......
    Pumelo

Answer by Pumelo at 11:38 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Buy furniture covers to cover the old furniture. Or the next time you buy new furniture, cover it. I totally understand though about the kids messing it up.....accidents happen, sometimes often. My kids aren't allowed to jump on our furniture either, but our couch looks like crap. It's super comfy though, so we put a cover on it. I don't plan on buying a new couch for years to come.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:54 PM on Jul. 4, 2010