Household chores for your teen?

What household chores do you have assigned to your teen if any? My 13yo has a chart of chores that she chose then gets a specific amount of money for each chore , she chooses what she does that day. Of course this is in addition to normal chores. How do you do it ?

sew4fun

Asked by sew4fun at 9:48 AM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• There's only one chore that they do for money - trash and recycling. But there are several chores that they do because they live here and are part of the family. They are responsible for their rooms, and take turns cleaning their bathroom, and they put away their laundry (and frequently help sort their stuff and fold it), and general pick up after themselves (finish a snack, clear your dish, sort of thing). Those are "permanent things". They rotate around helping with other chores but not on a regular basis, things like doing dishes, doing laundry, cleaning the living room, mowing grass, cooking (though they like to do that) etc. Those they don't do all the time or even on a set schedule, but they do help - for one thing, it's not bad for them and for another - they need to know how to do it when they move out.

The bulk of the housework I do.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:54 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• i dont have a teen yet but my sons about to be 8 and we make him do chores if kids dont have chores they get idel hands lol i make my son do easy stuff
    x_Starr_x

Answer by x_Starr_x at 9:57 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I also make a chart for my 11 and 13 year old boys. It has taking otu trash- dishes- kitty litter- empty dishwasher- clean bathroom-vacumm- sweep. All of these are not every day but litter dishes and cat litter are and it depends whos name it is by. I give the five dollars a week. That is together, so they each get $2.50. I don't hand it to them. We keep a total and once a year they buy something big with it.
    mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 10:03 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• When my kids were younger..( they are grown except one) Thay did chores and the youmgest still does.....
    Tedda

Answer by Tedda at 1:58 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• My kids don't get paid for chores. Chores are what they do because they are members of our family and thus so must contribute to being a member of the household.
    They clean their own bathrooms (rotating basis for the one that is shared by 3 boys), wash their own clothes and clean their own bedrooms. They do the recycling and garbage and take care of the dishes after meals. They mow and trim the lawn. They help pick up the "public" areas.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:16 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• i don't have teens but my parents had chores rotate weekly....one week i'd have dishes and my brother had trash and recycling. when we had a dog we'd both have to walk him and we had to clean our rooms and vacuum and help with the luandry. and when wouldn't get paid an allowance for them unless we kept our grades up so that we stayed on honor roll.
    TwistdClick3

Answer by TwistdClick3 at 10:12 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• My sons are 18 and 19 now but they have had the same chores for years....let the dogs out once a day each, do the supper dishes or set the table (they alternate), put their laundry away, keep their rooms clean and on weekends & when they had breaks from school (or now, now that it's summer since they are graduated from high school) they either had 1st dishes of the day or to clean the bathroom (they alternate). My older 2 are 22 and 23 and they had chores until they moved out at 18 and 19. When all 4 were home on weekends/during school breaks they each had a room to clean every day (bathroom, kitchen or living room or sweep those 3 floors....they alternated so they only did that chore once every 4 days). My sons have had chores since they were each about 4-5 years old and they never got an allowance.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 11:33 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• 16 and 13 year old step kids get to earn computer time, video game time, cell phone time. for each hour of chore time they put in is a hour for these or extra items.
    We have Adhd teens and we have to post a list of what needs to be done in each room and assign each kid to a different room. The youngest step son 11 also does this. They are all old enough to do indoor chores. cutting the lawn with out supervision I'm still leary on with adhd kids lol but they do things like sweep, take out trash, there own laundry, They keep there own rooms cleans, they help with yard work but supervised. They take turn doing dishes by hand as we dont have dish washer, deep cleaning like dusting moping floors. We have them pick there days and they need it done by 1 pm and after they eat and take there meds so they can have fun the rest of the day.
    amanda_23

Answer by amanda_23 at 4:15 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• my son and i share household chores. but he get paid for trash and recycling
    ymadaris2

Answer by ymadaris2 at 5:39 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My 17 DD does the dishes and now her own laundry. My 16 DS takes out the garbage and vacuums the floor. My 11 DS cleans up his room and scoops the dog poop. They help with cleaning the bathroom and odd things that need to be done. I don't pay my kids because it turned into "What's in it for me?" and that pissed me off. It's their home to and they should help take care of it.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 7:52 AM on Jul. 4, 2010