Biting and nursing

My 8 mo is teething and now has two teeth. I can not get her to quit biting when she nurses. What do you do to stop biting? She just laughs at everything I do . I have told her "NO, NO BITING" and sat her down, I have told her the same thing and walked away, I have even tapped on her little cheek to get her attn and told her NO . None of this is working so far.

sew4fun

Asked by sew4fun at 9:51 AM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Take it away. Only thing that ever worked for me. Just stop nursing til she stops and continue it. Be consistent.
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 10:04 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• What worked for me (the pediatrician told me to try this) was when she would bite down, I would pinch her nose together so she couldn't breath and she would pull right off and cry. She only bit me 2 times and after I did that twice, she never bit again and I bf for 16 months.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 10:13 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I say No sternly and put her down. That seemed to work fairly well for me. Though, if that isn't helping you, they can't bite and actively suck at the same time, so take her off the breast as soon as she stops sucking, before she has a chance to bite.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:58 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• An actively nursing baby can't bite. As soon as she finishes remove her from the breast. When it happens say no calmly, and set her down. be boring, not excited. If she is in teething pain, give her something cold first before nursing.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:53 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I've heard flicking them right between the eyes helps, harsh but- I dunno... my DD is almost 8 months and still have no teeth- I'll be probably asking this question again in a month or so!
    MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 3:57 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• My dd was more persistent than ds; it took a couple of days to stop ds from doing it, but it took dd 3 weeks.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 9:04 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I have never had a problem with biting. My kids like to pull off while still holding on it hurts just the same. I just don't fed her when she does this. Hope you find something that works.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 9:52 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• My son never bit me thankfully. Even though he had teeth at 6 months.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:43 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Teeth = time to switch to formula for me
    MizusT

Answer by MizusT at 1:44 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Tapping them on the cheek? Flicking them between the eyes? The baby is 8 months old for god's sake! Break the hold, say no, and listen to what the above mother said about removing them once they're not actively suckling anymore.
    Azure

Answer by Azure at 9:56 AM on Jul. 4, 2010