I just switched my daughter from breast to formula. Any suggestions on helping her poop easier? She only has 1 stool a day, which on breastmilk she passed one about 7-8 times a day. She seem to be having a hard time.

Is there anything I can give her to help her defecate? Is this normal? I had to switch her because I wasn't pumping enough milk. So I switched her and she likes the formula (Gerber - Good Start) but I am just concerned about her not defecating as much.

rachelsmama0514

Asked by rachelsmama0514 at 9:59 AM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• with all 3 of my kids i gave them 2 oz of prune juice every other day works like a charm and never had to give them any harsh meds
    x_Starr_x

Answer by x_Starr_x at 10:00 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Hold old is she? Give about 2oz of water or apple juice or pear or prue juice. It helps babies pooh when they have a hard time going them selfs. depending on her age if she is still little do 1oz water and 1oz juice. You don't want her having to much sugar
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 10:02 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• You can give her part breastmilk, which has a natural laxative affect (is she not nursing at all at the breast?). Also you can learn to pump more efficiently here (it makes a big difference) http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

The link will make a significant impact on your pumping output.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:13 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Breastfed babies generally go several days between bowel movements. As long as your daughter is not uncomfortable, and her stools are not hard, don't worry.

I would give her as much breastmilk as you can...

Answer by rkoloms at 11:14 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• When my baby gets all clogged up I add 1oz of prune juice in the bottle. So 7 oz formula and 1oz prune juice, just once a day. My one friend used to add mineral oil to a couple bottles a day for her daughter. How old is your baby though... that does affect their BM. As well, as others explained, BF babies do go more than formula fed. Worry if her poop is hard and not soft.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 12:42 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Is she able to nurse at the breast at all? Have you tried getting her to latch? If she can latch on, then what you pump is meaningless (unless you have to work, of course). You can go to the breastfeeding moms forum, there's a lot of help there. There are moms who pumped for 3-4 months before they were able to get baby latched on, but they ended up being successful. You can also get a lot of tips about how you can make your pumping output better. Honestly, I'm not sure there's much you can do about the slower bowel movements. Formula is just harder to digest.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 1:02 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• try pear. works wonders wit my baby =)
    urban_baybee

Answer by urban_baybee at 1:17 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Oh, I'd get that baby back on the breast- that sounds horrible!!!!
    MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 3, 2010