Do you care if your kids keep their room clean?

It was always a huge deal to my mom even though her room was never clean. Right now I help my 2 year old clean up but when he is old enough to clean it himself I really don't care if he does or not. As long as it's not gross or a safety hazard...

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 10:05 AM on Jul. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't expect it to be spotless but I do expect to able to walk in there and not step on anything.
    offrdngal

Answer by offrdngal at 10:11 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Yes, Because I am teaching them to keep there living area clean.. Also teaching them to have respect for the house they leave in. my boys are young and they already know that they need to pick there toys up and put them away when there not playing with them..
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 10:10 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I do care and I make my kids clean their room every weekend. If they keep a dirty room they will keep a dirty room when they are older.
    kira25

Answer by kira25 at 10:09 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I care, but they absolutely do not care lol. It drives me nuts that i cant get them to keep stuff picked up. They will offer to help with absolutely anything in the house EXCEPT their room. If they say mom what can we do to earn some money, I say clean your room and they ahhhhhhhh man not that...
    Makes me want to pull my hair out.
    Trotterswife

Answer by Trotterswife at 10:07 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I don't want it to be a spotless showroom type place, but I do want it picked up, the toys put up, the clothes put away, the dog accidents picked up. We don't make beds, so it's just a tangle of blankets, no big deal. I just want the floor clean and the dirty and clean clothes separated.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:08 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Mines will not clean it up like I world.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 10:10 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I kept it organized when they were little, but I only cared that you could move around once they got older! They did not get clean clothes unless dirty ones were in the hamper or they did them, no food was allowed in the bedrooms, etc. They saw that I liked a neat, clean house and they adopted those standards on their own. I would find them having a clean up day every so often when they got sick of any mess and everything would be organized and spotless by the end of that day!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:15 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I care if their room is clean. It's dangerous to walk in there if there are toys all over the floor, plus they play much better if they only have a few toys out. If it's a disaster, they don't want to play with their toys.
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 10:26 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Right now we keep it clean or else there would be too many toys to step on. As they get older, if they want to have a messy room, fine. My mom was never big on making us clean our room. The only time we really cleaned is when my grandparents came to visit because they would grade our rooms and no one wanted an F. My mom also had the rule about clothes, we had to put them in front of the washer if we wanted her to wash them. She would not pickup dirty clothes off of our floor.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 10:42 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I care but they don't keep it as clean as I would like.
    reesemom

Answer by reesemom at 10:43 AM on Jul. 3, 2010