My 6 years old daughter asked me this question, "Can you go to jail if you shoot yourself"???

I wasnt sure what to really say, but i did tell her people have shot themselves by accident! Im not sure

rosesrred1

Asked by rosesrred1 at 10:20 AM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yeah, if you were drunk, or aiming for someone else but your aim sucked that bad and you got yourself, or if you were otherwise impaired they could arrest you. But, if you're stone sober and just decide to see how it feels to shoot yourself in the foot, you won't get arrested for it.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:21 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• If you shoot yourself you are either dead, headed to the hospital or the mental institution to be evaluated.

Jail wouldnt be on the list of places to go. Unless you were aiming for someone else...eekk..
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:22 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• you'd probably be put in the hospital and evaluated for mental stability... then sent to a mental hospital, probably. hmmmm.... just tell her yes. lol.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 10:22 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Technically, you can, depending on your state and/or local laws. For instances, in my city if you live in city limits and your gun is discharged then you can be arrested for. You could also be arrested/issued a ticket for disturbing the peace, however, most police officers will use their discretion on this so you probably won't be arrested/issued a citation, but they could if they wanted too.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:23 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• honestly i didnt know what to tell her!
    rosesrred1

Comment by rosesrred1 (original poster) at 10:28 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I would just tell her yes.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 10:29 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I would just tell her that people who do that get hurt very badly and get in alot of trouble. Explain to her how easy it is to get hurt by a gun. Basically make it sound more and more unattractive, unfun, and boring to talk about.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 10:29 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• did you ask her where she came up with that question? that would be my first thought...then take it from there.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:47 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Yes you can be arrested for shooting yourself. Most cities have an ordinance that makes discharging a firearm w/ in city limits a crime. Some ppl have not been arrested for shooting themselves, like blowing a hole in your foot while out hunting. Honestly it really depends on the cop/ er personell taking the report. LOL funny ? for a 6 yr old!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 1:49 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Yeah, didn't a football player get charged for shooting himself in the leg at a club??
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 7:58 AM on Jul. 4, 2010