Why will my newborn not burp very much? He was born at 36 weeks and the Dr's say that he is doing very well and he went home just after 4 days and right now hes 9 days old. I am feeding him 2 ounces about every 3-4 hrs. Im just worried that he wont burp well. Is it normal? And we are using a playtex ventaire bottle that is supposed to make it easier on their stomachs, so I thought maybe that is maybe why but Im just not sure.

Did any of your children just about never burp? And if you used one of those expensive bottles do they really help and is that why they didnt burp?

Asked by Ann1188 at 12:16 PM on Jun. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My advise is: Relax. First baby? I can remember with my first one, I checked on him about every 5 minutes and noticed every change in his breathing pattern! lol. As long as your little one is not vomiting, or in distress, I would not worry about how much he is burping. He may just have quiet little burps, or he may burp on is own after you lie him down. Relax and enjoy him.

Answer by Mom4Gma2 at 12:23 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I wouldn't worry. Some babies are just not burpers. Is the baby spitting up? If not much then he probably does not need to. You need to pat them very firmly when you burp. Try putting him on his stomach across your legs and pat him that way. Don't stress. He is ok! Talk to your DR on your next visit.

Answer by Teachermom01 at 12:23 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I use those same bottles... not sure if thats why but my son wasnt/isnt much of a burper. Just try to burp him for a few minutes if he/she doesnt burp sit her up for awhile (TRY, Maybe a bouncer) and they in about 3-5 minutes try again.

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 1:09 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Your baby will either burp or spew. If there is no burping or spewing then you are fine. Your baby just isn't full of gas. If your baby won't burp and is fussy try Gripe Water or Mylicon.

Answer by HeatherTurner at 1:15 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• My two-year-old daughter never seemed to burp. I tried everything, but after a while it was just upsetting both of us spending so much time on trying to burp her. I pretty much quit trying and she was fine.

Answer by scr_130 at 2:20 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• my daughter never really burped after every bottle type thing. if they get fussy then try burping them. if they don't and they seem like there stomach is fine, then i wouldn't worry about it too much.

Answer by Ambreelulu at 11:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• We used Avent bottles (before the BPA issues came up) and our son rarely burped. I wouldn't worry about it unless he's spitting up badly. It may very well be that he isn't getting much air in his tummy.
    Congrats on your new baby!!

Answer by DeylansMama at 4:47 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• My oldest was that way. I didn't use fancy bottles, either. As long as he's not having gas pains, I wouldn't fret. (Trust me, you'll know gas pains- it's all in the cry.)

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 1:03 AM on Jun. 30, 2008