Corn ...

Even though I am great cook (so my family tells me ... at least they aren't dead yet ... lol) I know squat about freezing fresh veggies. I do know that I need to go ahead and pull the silk out, but can I freeze the corn with the husk still on?

SpiritedWitch

Asked by SpiritedWitch at 10:26 AM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You have to blanch corn before freezing it or it will be very rubbery and tasteless when you thaw and eat it. Husk it before blanching -- put the corn in boiling water for 5 to 6 minutes, then plunge the corn in ice water until cool. Drain, cut the kernels off if you want, bag and freeze.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:49 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I always blanch mine first, cool it, bag it in freezer basy, then freeze it. I think by blanching it you are 'locking' in the flavor.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:56 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I think you can freeze it with the husks still on. I've never done it; my concern is not knowing if there were bugs/whatever in the husks, and that husking them afterward might be harder. (I don't know what the freezing wwould do to the texture of the husks themselves.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:31 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I've always freeze without husk but here is someone else answer. 

"Yes you can freeze corn with the husks on, but it will not keep as long."

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:48 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• When I've blanched corn on the cob (husks off) I've only plunged it in boiling water a half minute to a minute.

Answer by Bmat at 11:37 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I googled and am reading boil for 2 to 4 minutes. For other vegetables I watch for a color change, but corn doesn't change color much when it is blanched.

Answer by Bmat at 11:39 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Thanks ladies!! I've frozen fresh that already had the husks removed (just pulled the husks off, dropped the whole cob in a bag with a little sugar and tossed in the freezer ... wonderfully sweet taste when cooked) just wondered if it HAD to be done that way.
    SpiritedWitch

Comment by SpiritedWitch (original poster) at 7:10 PM on Jul. 3, 2010