Being a "nanny" with a child of your own... Has anyone done it???

Hello everyone! I come here because everyone is so helpful while answering my questions. I am really wanting to be with my daughter (4 months old) all the time. I am on maternity leave, but will need to return to work in the fall. She would be away from me for 5 days and long hours each day, plus I bring my work home with me. My final decision is that I want to not go back, but I need an income along w/ my husband's to make it financially. I have an opportunity to babysit 2 kids in their house Tues, Wed, Thurs & one little girl in her house Mon & Fri. I'm just wondering if anyone has watched kids, while being a mom to your own IN SOMEONE ELSE'S HOUSE???? I'm just wondering how you felt about being a mom and bringing your child to someone else's house 4 or 5 days a week. Please let me know! Thanks!!!! :)

TP1283

Asked by TP1283 at 10:29 AM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• It can work out depending on the ages of the other children and their temperments. Are they infants also? That would be tough, I think. And are they well behaved ? There's a lot to think about like if someone is cranky, sick, etc. Can you have a couple of "test" days with the other moms and to see how it goes? If everything looks positive I think I would try it so that I am with my own child. Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:36 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Plus make sure you are paid the going rate. You can check out rates for your area at care.com
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:37 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Thank you for your comment. The one family has a 5 mo old boy & 21 mo old girl, which might be tricky. The other family is just a 3 yr old girl. I'm just having some negative feelings about going to their houses, but I guess if my daughter was in daycare then she'd be dragged out of the house 5 days a wk and I wouldn't be w/ her, you know.... I think it will all work out. I have met the kids... no test days, though. Thanks for your input!
    TP1283

Comment by TP1283 (original poster) at 10:39 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I have not been in this position YET, but I do see myself there in the future. I have worked as a nanny for the past 3 years and definitely see myself continuing once I have children. The first family I nannied for was excellent and they were 100% okay with me bringing a baby to work. When I was pregnant we actually worked out all the details of how it would work, but then I unfortunately miscarried. The family I work for now has 1 year old twins so I think they'd be a little more hesitant. However, they know we've been trying to get pregnant for over 18 months and have lost a baby so they do know it's a possibility that I could get pregnant. At this point once I did get pregnant the kids would be a little older once the baby is born so I hope they'd be okay with it If not, I would definitely find a new family to work for.
    cjsjellybean

Answer by cjsjellybean at 10:39 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I did for a year. It was great. The kids were 5 and 7 and they adored my son. I started when he was 4 months old.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 10:44 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• My kids are 13 and 11 now, but when I was pregnant with my first I started watching 11 month old twin boys. I watched them until they were 3 1/2 so at one point I had my own two little ones and the twins. I had a good experience with it. I made good money and stayed home. The people I worked for were very flexible. They did find other sitters for a couple months while I had both of my kids.
    mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 10:48 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I think if it it is hard & makes you want to pull your hair out- it will still be more reawarding than if you had to feel "guilty" about dragging your child out and leaving at day care.
    I never worked at someone elses house since my son has been born- but If it was the only way Id be able to stay home.. Id be all over it.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 10:56 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I did it for a while, so long as the person is aware that you have a child that you are bringing along then I don't see an issue with it. The age of the children can sometime be good sometimes not. It also depends on how many. (example, I ONCE babysat for a friend. She had a 3 month old, a one year old, a 2 year old and a 3 year old.. plus I had my 9 month old.. and never again would I babysit for her, that was just TOO much for me).

honestly with the ages you listed you should be fine.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:04 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I think you should go for it!
    extremelibrary

Answer by extremelibrary at 3:49 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Thank you SO much everyone for all of your positive comments and careful input. I am very excited about my new opportunity. Yes, I will be giving up my teaching career, but seriously, being with my daughter is #1 right now. I feel very good about this huge decision, and trust me, my husband & I have talked and talked and talked to the point of annoyance about this!!! I've worked out details with one family and there's another one I'm going to be meeting with next week. I'll be at one house Tues, Wed, Thurs & the other Mon & Fri. Seems like a lot, but my daughter will be with me and no need to pay TONS of $ for daycare. Trust me, I don't look down on daycare. We'll use it if something doesn't work out, but this is my calling right now. Thanks everyone soooooo much!
    TP1283

Comment by TP1283 (original poster) at 9:22 PM on Jul. 3, 2010