Does anyone do home care giving for the elderly?

I am thinking about sitting with the elderly and helping out with day to day chores. So the person could continue to stay in their home instead of going in a nursing home. I was wondering if anyone is doing this sort of work and what I could expect? I like helping people and I know that my mom had a helper years ago and was able to remaine at home instead of going in a nursing home. But I didn't know the paticulars because she lived in another state next to one of my sisters.
Also what would be the right price to ask for this type of work?

Thanks for your imput.

Red54

Asked by Red54 at 11:01 AM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Health

• I was a home health supervisor for the visiting nurses and now live with my elderly parents. Days when I have to work late, I'm looking for someone to help prepare a meal, maybe give dad a shower, put lotion on his back and soak his feet, change his bed linens, load the dishwasher and start it....so I am looking for a housekeeper type person, plus a nurses' aide type, who isn't afraid to give someone a shower. I don't need a certified person, because I can supervise/teach what needs to be done. Other people DO need a certified nursing assistant, depending on what their expectations are.
    PM if you want any more info, You got great answers already. Good Luck!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 11:12 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• You can get ideas of what people charge by looking at care.com Look at care givers' profiles and see what they charge in your area. A lot of people want you to be a CNA if you are working with seniors. Be careful to get exactly the kind of client you want. Good luck
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:05 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I work in a group home for mentally impaired and developmentally disabled. They range from in their 40's to 69!! I am not sure what to expect in a one on one situation, but I would think that you would assist with chores, cooking, bathing, medication administering, and anything else that the charge may need assistance with.
    mistical_me

Answer by mistical_me at 11:06 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• My sister does it for an in home care agency that is funded by private money not, medicare. There are agencies that are funded by medicare though. MOst don't require experience and the clients need varying amounts of assistance. You could be going there just to give meds, feed them, and clean up the home, giving baths, washing clothes just depends on what you are willing to do. The pay is usually $8-$10 an hour in TX.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:08 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• My mom has a full time caregiver. The caregiver works for an agency, and is insured and bonded.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:10 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I'd probably be more comfortable hiring a bonded and insured person, and also one who was certified- had had training- because there could be situations arise other than the daily tasks that I requested.

Answer by Bmat at 11:24 AM on Jul. 3, 2010