Does anyone know Kosher law?

I need to know if it is ok to wrap a tray in plastic or foil to serve something on. I don't have kosher plates, etc. in my house, but I am having some friends over who are kosher. We are using paper plates, plastic utensils, etc. But I want to put the bagels on something, as opposed to just having them in a bag. Can I put the bagels on a saran wrapped or foil wrapped tray that has only ever been used to serve pretzels or potato chips?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• i am ultra orthodox and if you put the bagels on foil it is fine by everybody's standards. but i agree with eemagray and say you should just ask your friend , she will appreciate your concern for her needs.
    jenn95

Answer by jenn95 at 3:53 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Certain animals may not be eaten at all. This restriction includes the flesh, organs, eggs and milk of the forbidden animals.
    Of the animals that may be eaten, the birds and mammals must be killed in accordance with Jewish law.
    All blood must be drained from meat and poultry or broiled out of it before it is eaten.
    Certain parts of permitted animals may not be eaten.
    Fruits and vegetables are permitted, but must be inspected for bugs (which cannot be eaten)
    Meat (the flesh of birds and mammals) cannot be eaten with dairy. Fish, eggs, fruits, vegetables and grains can be eaten with either meat or dairy. (According to some views, fish may not be eaten with meat).
    Utensils (including pots and pans and other cooking surfaces) that have come into contact with meat may not be used with dairy, and vice versa. Utensils that have come into contact with non-kosher food may not be used with kosher food.
    Pumelo

Answer by Pumelo at 11:27 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• This applies only where the contact occurred while the food was hot.
    Grape products made by non-Jews may not be eaten.
    There are a few other rules that are not universal.
    Pumelo

• For EXACT details here is a link http://www.jewfaq.org/kashrut.htm
    Pumelo

• This may help: http://kosherfood.about.com/od/jewishholidaycooking/f/kosher_bookclub.htm
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:43 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• In a detailed situation like yours, I think the best thing to do would be to ask your friend what would be the best thing to do. Most people who keep kosher, especially strictly kosher, are quite willing to answer any questions you have.

Myself personally, I would put the bagels on paper plates and serve them that way. Not fancy, but I'd be sure of keeping my friend's standard of kashrut that way.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 3:46 PM on Jul. 3, 2010