Immangery Friends

Ok so my 5 year old daughter has an immangery friend. I figure its no big deal and just a "kid" thing and its her way of coping with really having no friends. She had kids to play with at school and such but outside of that she doesn't. I recently decided to have her go to school the area we live in in hopes that she will make some local friends and maybe have play dates. She will usually play with kids at the playground or the one or two that live int eh apartment complex but has never gone over anyone's house or had kids come here. Lately there are times she tells kids she don't want to play with them that she wants to play with "Angie" (her immangery friend) instead. She I worry or just let it go.

istaria1124

Asked by istaria1124 at 11:41 AM on Jul. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Just let it go. The imaginary friend is someone who is obviously better than the other kids. Imaginary friends never take your toys or call you names!
    It's a normal part of childhood.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:43 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Don't push her. Just let her make friends on her own time

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:44 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• She'll probably get over it, to her right now Angie is a like a security blanket, and she's probably just protecting her own emotions for fear this kids won't actually want to be her friends. Remember it's a newer environment for her, give her some time to get use to the school system and the kids in it, and I'm sure she'll get over her other "friend".
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:54 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Yes, let it go. Very normal and the less you make of it, the better.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:48 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• She's five years old, I wouldn't worry about it. My dd who is 5 also has an imaginery friend. It's completely normal. We embrace it actually. Your dd will make friends when she is ready.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 2:28 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• My daughter had an IF for a very long time started about age 4 and lasted until right after she turned six. Her IF was "modeled" after a character on her then fav. TV show. At first her IF was always around and super nice to her (so she told us) toward the end she would tell me her IF was mean to her and would say mean things to her. I started telling her if IF(she had name but I can't pull it out of my memory right now) can't be nice she won't be allowed to come back to play any more. Then she would tell me it was okay because IF was moving far far away from us. Then IF came to live with us for a few weeks and was very mean and DD would get so upset and have fights with IF. Finally I said IF has to go home if she can't be nice and DD told me oh momma I sent her away already she made me sad. After that there was no more IF.. though I must say the "fights" and meanness from the IF started after she met real life friends.
    Michele975

Answer by Michele975 at 10:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I wouldnt worry at all. Its just one of those things that shell go through, and one day outgrow. Its her expressing her imagination. My dd had 3 imaginary friends. The crazy, drawn out stories she used to tell me, were amazing. She played with her "imaginary friends", Davin, Stacy and Gerald from the time she was 4, until she was 6.5.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 6:16 PM on Jul. 4, 2010