Disqualification due to misdemeanor

I am having to repost this question because it would not allow me to edit the first one.
Will my domestic violence record keep me from enlisting even though I have extenuating circumstances? I was in a relationship where my ex was arrested in 2006 for domestic violence and I was granted a temporary protective order. In March of 2007 I was arrested when my ex broke intto my home, hit me in front of my sister, and I hit him on the head with a DVD case and he pressed charges. They were all misdemeanors but I plead No Lo.

Count 1: 16-5-23.1(F), Battery - Family Violence - 03/16/2007. Disp: Sentenced On Nolo Contendre Plea On 10/25/2007
Sentence - Ct: 1, Probated-No Time To Serve, $405.00, Probation: 12 Months, Sentence Date: 10/25/2007
Count 2: 16-5-23, Simple Battery-M - 03/16/2007. Disp: Nolle Prosequi (Nol Pros) On 10/25/2007
Count 3: 16-5-23, Simple Battery-M - 03/16/2007. Disp: Nolle Prosequi (Nol Pros) On 10/25/2007

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I can't believe his charges held up, and not sure why you didn't press charges against him that would have reduced any charges you had..

however they are misdemeanors, and while they will check your record it shouldn't effect eligibility to join. It may just restrict some of what you can do.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:58 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• If they let you join it will probably be by a waiver. If I remember right, domestic violence is an automatic disqualification...
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 12:28 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• If your able to get into the Army you will have to have a waiver because of DV. Usually that is automatic disqualification.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:33 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• http://www.navycs.com/blogs/2010/02/21/no-waivers-for-domestic-violence-convictions

If you have a conviction for domestic violence, as defined in Title 18 U.S. Code Sections 921 and 922 as discussed below, you are ineligible for all military service – not just the Navy. Domestic violence offenses may also include, but are not limited to, assault, assault and battery, and disorderly conduct convictions in which the perpetrator and victim meet the conditions of the domestic violence rule. The domestic violence rule must be applied regardless of whether or not you were charged with domestic violence. 

Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 12:32 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Same will go for Air Force
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 12:46 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Because of the Lautenberg Amendment they will not allow you into the military. The Lautenberg Amendment is in the Gun Control Act of 1968. It says that anyone who is already in the military and charged with DV will be automatically charged as a felony. So they can not add new recruits with such an offense and boot soldiers for the same offense.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I hope not. That would be a shame to keep you out when you have extenuating circumstances and a witness to the incident.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:15 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• there are jobs where it is stated that if there are domestic charges on your record, you are disqualified for employment or enlistment. sorry, but that is the way it is.
    Jewelzgirl

Answer by Jewelzgirl at 7:02 AM on Jul. 4, 2010