Is it ok for a bio mom who has given up all custody of her child to pop in and out of her childs life?

I think the worst cases are promising a child you will show up and then not coming

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Jul. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it's awful. The poor child - wondering where/when his "mother" will actually show up? Wondering what they did wrong that their mother keeps abandoning them? IMO, much better to go through that hurt once, then to keep having that poor child relive it. What a selfish "mother" that poor baby has.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:00 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• It's not ok, but does it happen? Yes it does. I'm sure we all know somebody like that.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 11:59 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Is it okay ...NO.
    But i would rather the child know that i never refused a visit and always gave the child the opportunity to have a relationship with the bioparent. I'd rather allow the child to have an opportunity to see for his/her self the kind of person the bioparent is, instead of resenting me for my opinion of the bioparent.

DSS's BM hasn't signed over her right yes but she has zero custody and i know what it's like to see the disappointment in my son when she says she will call back ...and then doesn't.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:00 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Better then nothing at all. But a child will never forget a no show.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 12:03 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Popping in and out. No. Not at all. Either you are a part or you aren't. It causes too many problems for the child. You either want to be a parent or you don't. It's not a part time, seasonal job.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 12:10 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I'm adopted and at a very young age my mother showed up at my grandmother's funeral and I was rushed out of the room so that I wouldn't hear what was going on. Although I didn't know I knew it was having to do with me and I was left very confused. I would have to say NO it's not good for a child at least from my expierence.

Montylyn

Answer by Montylyn at 12:28 PM on Jul. 3, 2010