Sister needs help!

my sister is 18. She came home two nights ago feeling achy and feverish. She took some ibprofen and felt fine for the rest of the night. The next morning, she felt feverish and achy again. She doesn't have any other symptoms besides fever and aches. I would say her fever floats around 102... but dies with ibprofen. She says she feels weak.

No throat problems, no cough, no sinus issues, no runny nose... nothing. We've ruled out the common cold, and possibly the flu (she doesn't ever feel nauseous, but doesn't feel like eating either). I'm at a loss... anyone have any suggestions? We don't have health insurance so we're trying to avoid the hospital if we can....

livn4hevn

Asked by livn4hevn at 12:14 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Health

• Fever is your bodies way of trying to fight an infection. If it goes on for a few days I would take her to doc.
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 1:42 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• has she been hiking or anything? this time of year don't rule out west nile or a tick bite (lyme desease)
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 5:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• She could have the flu. You don't have to be nauseaus to have the flu. You are thinking of the 'stomach flu" which is not really a flu at all. it's a gastrointestinal illness. But, she could have the regular flu.
    mommy2aftan

Answer by mommy2aftan at 12:19 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I agree - she could have the flu - make sure not to get dehydrated - drink things like Pedialyte or Poweraid - Gatoraid has a lot of sugar in it - I would stay away from that. Watch her fever - if it gets close to 104, I would, at the very least, call the doctor - if it goes to 105 - go to the hospital. If she gets disoriented - go to the hospital.
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 1:48 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• It sounds lilke a virus. It the fever lasts more than a week, she should see a doctor.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:11 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Don't rule out the common cold or flu just because she doesn't have the other symptoms.. ever cold and flu can be different..

it could also be something such as a sinus infection.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:20 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• sinus issues don't always mean runny nose or coughing either.. it could just be imflamation which would account for the achy feelings and fever.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I agree with Soniam301, don't rule out west nile or something. I would call up the hospital and talk to an ER nurse or doctor and they should be able to help
    My3LittleGirls

Answer by My3LittleGirls at 11:20 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• we talked to the pharmacist... she has an unproductive cough, and now her fever is only in the afternoon's, and hitting around 101... so a lot more mild than it was! The pharmacist said to get her some mucinex to cough up some of the crap in her lungs, and get her to a doc since her fever has been running up and down for about a week. It sucks... we can't take her in. I don't like seeing her suffer like this, but there's nothing we can do. My parents just filed bankruptcy yesterday. When I say we have no money, I seriously mean it! Not even a buck!!!
    livn4hevn

Comment by livn4hevn (original poster) at 12:37 AM on Jul. 9, 2010