Do you have your male cat neutered and did it change his personality?

I just had it done to my male cat and I feel like such a meanie.For some reason when I had it done to my females in the past it felt like the right thing to do...but for a male.... it bothers me. What is your experience on this?

Cochise

Asked by Cochise at 12:39 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Pets

• No, it's not a bad thing at all! My boy settled down some after being neutered. They're much less likely to spray (if indoors) after being neutered and tend to not be so aggressive. It's a far less invasive procedure than the female spaying and nothing to feel guilty over :) He'll be fine, and more importantly, he want be helping make litters of unwanted kittens.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I had my cat done and it didn't change him. He's still as sweet as ever...
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 12:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• My parents neutered our cat when I was a kid because he was an outdoor cat (and he got our female cat pregnant...they were brother/sister).

I don't think he was any different after.  He was always a pretty calm cat and life just went on.  He still went outside, still defended his territory but we didn't have to worry about a bunch of stray kittens running around, lol.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:45 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I had my male cat neutered at a pretty young age, and I didn't notice a difference in his personality. Cats are so much easier to live with when they are spayed or neutered, and I think it's better for the cats, too.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• We spayed our male cat when he was about 8 months old. The ony difference we noticed was that he stopped spraying. Other than that he's the same cat - he wrestles with the dog, he goes outside, he's a great mouser, he cuddles with us, no difference at all.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:33 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• He was just calmer but nothing major.
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 3:55 PM on Jul. 3, 2010