How do you stay positive when everyone around you seems to have negative attitudes?

I'm finding it hard to keep a positive perspective and not complain about things that happen to me or stuff that goes wrong.....I used to be able to handle all of it with a positive attitude/perspective/outlook....
And, the people that are being negative, you can't just not be around....

CAGirl4

Asked by CAGirl4 at 12:52 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• It's difficult but you have to learn how to not let other people's attitudes affect you. It takes time and practice if it doesn't come easy to you. I think for some, it's just a part of thier personality. I know its something I've had to learn over time and I still struggle with it. The best advice I can give is to always remain conscious of how you are feeling. When something bad happens, instead of letting yourself fall into a snap reaction, stop and think for a moment. Ask yourself: Is it worth getting all worked up about this or feeling negative about it? or Is it really that bad in the big picture? I find that solutions to life's problems come easier if you look at things from a broader perspective.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 1:01 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• it takes a lot more energy to be negative than it does to be positive, that said everyone is entitled to a bad day now and then but when it's a constant then something needs to be done. just stay true to yourself and things will be fine
    mOmMyWiFeNuRsE3

Answer by mOmMyWiFeNuRsE3 at 12:56 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Try to avoid the negative people in your life if you can. I find that if someone at work regularly complains, I suddenly have some pressing issue to handle and then walk away, i.e. I have a conference call or need to get a report finished. I tell that person that I hope their day gets better and then leave. Another way to avoid negativity is to change the subject. My father is a very negative person, so when he gets started on how bad the world is, I change the subject to something pleasant like the pretty flowers he worked so hard to grow. It works most of the time.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 12:57 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• It's hard, which is why I try to avoid too much time around negative people. Once I eliminated the drama, negativity, and pessimisim from my life everything got so much easier.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 12:57 PM on Jul. 3, 2010