adding a bird to our family

i am considering getting a bird, not sure what yet probably a cockatiel, conure, or something similar. my kids are going to be gone for the next month and i'm wondering if it would be better to get the bird now and bond with it, or wait until the kids are here so the bird isn't shocked when the kids come home...any ideas?

kyuteangl88

Asked by kyuteangl88 at 12:59 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Pets

• A parakeet would probably be a better bird for children if they are taught to treat it well. I had a cockatiel once and it did nothing but screech 24-7. It was a constant source of stress for me and my family. Parakeets, however, are much more pleasant birds that are less expensive and require very little. They can be taught to perch on your finger and even to talk a little.
    As to whether or not you should wait, I would get the bird first, then let the children meet it. It may be too chaotic for the bird to be introduced to a home with children. Let the bird get used to its new surroundings first.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 1:04 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I have two conures, a senegal, and two cockatiels. If you have any specific question feel free to pm me. As far as bring one home with or without kids there...it really does not matter. Either way they have to adjust to a new place. Regardless they will need quiet time in their cage without anyone trying to play with them or bother them. If it gets too much for them you can cover the cage so they feel safe. But even if they are used to everything without the kids there-they will have to have another adjustment period when the kids do get home. Also do A LOT of research before getting a bird. They take a lot of work, cleaning, and time. They also live a very long time-my one cockatiel is 17 years old and going strong. Birds are loud, messy, and needy...like having a toddler for 20 years. But they are wonderful, loving pets. My 5 and 4 years olds love the birds and they are very much a part of our everyday lives.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 1:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• i have experience with birds, so i know how much work they take :) the kids are all going to be in school as of august, and my SO said no more babies, so that's why i'm wanting to get a bird to love and baby :)
    kyuteangl88

Comment by kyuteangl88 (original poster) at 1:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I would go with a conure. They are sweet and gentle. We have a Pionus and she is sweet most of the time. She doesn't talk but she squeeks and begs for food something awful. She likes the kids if she is with my husband and I am not in the room. If I am close all she wants is me. That will be something you will have to watch depending on the age of your children. Good Luck! I want to get my husband a conure. The are so sweet.
    MomofTwins07

Answer by MomofTwins07 at 3:58 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I had a conure we loved him but honestly he took / needed a lot of loving. He was very loud and the less he got for attention the louder he got. He was very demanding. He loved to be held and talked to but boy could he raise a ruckus. I would say he was the most loving bird in the world. Good with the whole family. He just needed more attention than a dog. for sure. So I would really think and research the whole bird thing. Just my two cents. Good luck!
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 6:05 PM on Jul. 4, 2010