Hoping all goes well with breastfeeding, but should I take a breastpump to the hospital for my induction Tuesday just in case?

siren77

Asked by siren77 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• usually if you are not able to feed right away,they can give you one of theirs to use

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:04 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I would only take it if you wanted the lacation consultant to help you learn how to use it. Really the hospitals have better pumps than you can buy.
    mommy2boys03

Answer by mommy2boys03 at 1:09 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• No need! Babies aren't actually hungry yet after they are born! you milk may not come in for up to 3 days, and that is 100% ok! Just nurse, for the colostrum. And baby will be fine! The only reason I see needing a pump right away, is for when your milk comes in, if it comes in like mine did, I had to pump a little to my poor kids could latch on, there was so much!

clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 1:14 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I don't think you will need to bring your pump. If you really need one they have hospital grade pumps that are really good.
    rnl314

Answer by rnl314 at 1:16 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• If for any reason you're unable to breastfeed your baby at the hospital, they will have a pump you can use. If you have problems, they should also have a lactation consultant you can talk to, to try and help you with any issues that may pop up, without having to pump. I would leave the extra baggage at home, personally.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:23 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• No. Someone will be there to help you latch. Unless something is wrong you should start pumping until 6 weeks or your supply will be off.
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 3:52 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• No-- don't bring a pump. But you might bring a doula!
    ;-)
    Or a lactation consultant. At least bring a book on the subject-- preferably read it prior to birth.
    If you can, join La Leche League asap.
    Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:17 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Hospitals have those so don't bring yours.
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 9:14 AM on Jul. 4, 2010