Breastfeeding: my baby doesn't latch on.

I haven't been able to get my baby to latch on for breastfeeding for a few days now. She just keeps searching for a nipple when its right on her lips. And she screams.. I got her to latch on for one suck last night and then she just started screaming again. I don't know what to do! I feel so helpless when I can't get her to latch on and shes screaming. I always have to just give the bottle.

MJ_BN_FE

Asked by MJ_BN_FE at 1:06 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The flow is much faster with a bottle, even with a slow-flow nipple. The milk is right there, versus having to work to get it from the breast, and waiting for let-down, etc. The only way to help is do what PPs have suggested and get rid of the bottle. It will be a struggle, especially emotionally for you, letting her cry because she's not used to it, but that's the only thing that will help.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:25 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• The reason is she's used to the bottle. Stop using the bottle. Any supplementing you need to do can be given via other methods (SNS, syringe, even sippy cup). She has nipple confusion.

Try expressing some milk onto your nipple before you try latching her on - that way she'll know your breast = milk. It will be frustrating, but you CAN do it. Go to the breastfeeding moms forum, you'll get a lot of support and more help there.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 1:08 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Is it possible to see a lactation coach? Some babies can not latch on because of their mouth structure, etc. A friend of mine had to pump and use a bottle so the baby got her breast milk that way. You can resort to that if you have to.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:08 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Sounds like nipple confusion to me! No more bottles PERIOD! And I would look into talking to a lactation consultant! Good luck! I know it is hard, but so worth it!
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 1:12 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I agree with the other moms, it sounds like nipple confusion. I would stop using the bottle.
    rnl314

Answer by rnl314 at 1:15 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Stop using the bottle. Don't wait until she's really hungry to feed her...most BFing books say if you wait unti the cry then you let them get too hungry and a starving baby is too upset to latch. And get an LC.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:48 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• You can see a lactation consultant. They are great.

BIG TIPS----Massage breast a little to get milk stimulated to flow sooner. Get comfortable with the baby and hold the back of baby's head with your hand (if baby's mouth is at left breast, hold baby's head with left hand and support baby's body with pillows.) Pinch your areola to combust your nipple (with right hand..silly but it works.) Once your baby has her mouth wide open, POP her on. Dont be afraid to move her head swiftly. She will not break...lol. Then, you can move the baby's bottom lip down a little but dont break the suction. Support the breast that the baby is feeding on, lift up. Drink lots of water. GL!!!

www.lalecheleague.com

3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:17 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• If you stop using the bottle then she'll latch onto your breast. It is a lot easier to get milk out of a bottle than it is from your breast and your baby probably isn't liking that she has to suck harder from your breast to get the milk. Good luck...I know how frustrating it can be and it took me a week to get him to latch on and eat like he should. You both just need to keep trying and you'll be fine:)
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 1:27 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• One more thing....to get the baby's mouth open, squeeze a little milk out for scent. Rub your nipple on baby's mouth to get her to reflex. She should open wide for you.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:19 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• join the breastfeeding moms group NOW.

ditch the bottles and give babe no choice. call the hospital and talk to the lc and see if you can come in for an appointment.
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 5:11 PM on Jul. 3, 2010