how do i get him to listen to me?

my son is a year and a half and everytime i tell him no he laughs at me, and thinks im just joking around. then when i tell him no he throws his toys and stuff at me. is this normal for a kid this age?

hotmomma768

Asked by hotmomma768 at 12:26 PM on Jun. 28, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It may be "normal" but it is not OK. You are setting the tone even if you don't realize it. Watch supernanny every week. She deals all the time with this. When you say NO, say it like you mean it! If he doesn't listen, sit him down for a time out until he finishes it out 1-2 minutes. Let him know that throwing isn't tolerated and he will have a time out everytime he does it. When he throws, tell him why you are putting him in a time out. As far as the laughing, it will stop when he realizes that not listening to mommy isn't funny anymore!
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 1:11 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I'm not sure about that age. When my stepson was 2 we had to force him to stand in the corner if he was bad. You can try doing that now. Your LO might be too little to understand fully but he will understand that if he doesn't want to have to stand in the corner he has to be good. It worked for my kid.
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 1:13 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• My son is just about to turn 1, he can sometimes be like this. I just ignore the tantrums he throws when I tell him off and I hope he will eventually not do it. If he throws stuff at me or something he just gets told off again.
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 4:30 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• normal, well..maybe. now is the time to set the ground rules. so you need to decide the kind of punihsment you want to use...time outs...slaps on the hand etc... and then do them. i used three warnings like 'if you kick me i'm going to kick you back. i'm going to kick you back, don't do it. this is yoru last warning, buddy..." it worked. mostly. i did have to enforce it a few times, like with my son, he would take food in his room, a big no no. once he understood i was serious he stopped. good luck.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 12:45 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• maybe because you used to smile and snuggle his face and say sweetly nonono when he was little. smack that butt, who are you talking to, you don't say no to ME! then time out in the corner!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:07 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Discipline starts earlier that when they can talk to you.
    You need to set firm boundaries, and stick to them. Yes, his behaviour is normal, as he is testing. However, now is the time to be consistant and set the stage for later.
    In our family we use the "Love and Logic" series. It's a take on Positive Discipline, but with a much more practical spin (in my opinion).
    Good luck!
    DeylansMama

Answer by DeylansMama at 4:45 PM on Jun. 29, 2008