How about the Air Force Reserves?

I've been considering looking into joining the AFR, especially because they advertise a sign-on bonus. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm looking for personal stories, NOT opinions about the war. Thanks! :)

JessicaG45342

Asked by JessicaG45342 at 1:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• The sign on bonus depends on your MOS. My husband is in the Army National Guard. We like it, affordable health insurance and an extra although small paycheck every month. Talk to a recruiter, my husband was in Iraq in '05 and '06 and just returned from Afghanistan 3 months ago. It is against the law for a recruiter to lie to you so, ask them every question you can think of. If you have children you will have to give someone a Power of Attorney for the child(ren) while your away at boot camp and school for your MOS.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:40 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Thanks so much for giving me a straight answer! :) What is MOS?
    JessicaG45342

Comment by JessicaG45342 (original poster) at 4:59 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• You can also get help at this site.

"The Army and Marine Corps call their enlisted jobs "MOS's," or "Military Occupation Specialties." The Navy and Coast Guard call their enlisted jobs "ratings." But, in the Air Force, enlisted jobs are known as "AFSCs," or "Air Force Specialty Codes."

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:15 PM on Jul. 3, 2010