Pregnancy after fibroid removal. Please help/advice :(

had an 11 cm fibroid tumor removed through an abdominal myomectomy on 4/22/08. It has been now almost a yr and a half. I knew going into a pregnancy that because the uterine wall had surgery (and possibly pieces removed with the fibroid) that I could never going into labor and would require a c-sec. I knew this would be done to prevent a uterine rupture. Now as I'm getting closer to my actual due date of 8/22 to prevent a possible rupture they have moved the c-sec date from 8/16 to 8/5 with an amnio on 8/4 to check for fetal lung development.
Honestly I knew all this going in so I shouldn't be so shocked. But I feel so worried about everything like I'm going to just die on the table! Or that my uterus is going to rupture before I can get to the hospital and I'll die! I don't know any other women that have been through this. I guess more than advice I'm just trying to see that there are other women like me who have gone thru t

StayCold

Asked by StayCold at 1:32 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Where was the fibroid? If it was near the top part of your uterus then it probably didn't need to be removed unless it was causing serious symptoms. And after so many months the rate of uterine rupture from any uterine surgery is really low. I would estimate less than 3% in this case, even if the fibroid was at the top of your uterus (which makes the uterus weaker than if the surgery was at the bottom of the uterus).

Honestly, you don't have anything to worry about. I mean, yeah, surgery is scary. But it would take a lot more pressure on your uterus to make it rupture than a term pregnancy. I don't think you need to have your C-section date moved up (BTW, 8/5 is my due date lol). Really, your risk of rupture is super tiny, and even if you did rupture, it's not likely to be a huge, catastrophic one. It's likely to be just a tiny little tear and you would know it happened. Don't worry, mamma :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:00 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I haven't had any fibroids removed, however I did have a uterine ployp removed after it was discovered during a hysteroscopy. I don't know the technical term they use to describe the manner in which it was removed, however I got pregnant shortly after my surgery and safely delivered that baby vaginally.

As far as the risk of rupture...women all over the US have VBAC's everyday where their risk of rupture is claimed to be extremely high (it's actually about 1%). I don't know how your risk compares to that, but it's something to keep in mind.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:03 PM on Jul. 3, 2010